* Re: Aw: Re: Git GUI does not start
       [not found] <trinity-37fd48fb-6205-4e1c-8a76-d2eab6a3dc26-1629093923606@3c-app-webde-bap47>
@ 2021-08-16 12:45 ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2021-08-16 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Buch; +Cc: git

Hi Gerhard,

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021, Gerhard Buch wrote:

> thanks for looking into the topic. Here is the information requested and results of the test with Git V2.30.2:
>
> The problem described could be reproduced with a Notebook with Windows
> 10 Enterprise (1809, Build 17763.1879) and also with a Citrix
> Installation with Build 19042.1083. But - as we'll see later, this will
> be of minor relevance.
>
> So, this morning after booting both systems, I checked again the
> behaviour with Git V2.32 and found the problem as described in the big
> report.
>
> Then I downloaded Git V2.30.2 Portable and could open the repository
> successfully with Git-gui.
>
> After this I tried again with Git-gui V2.32 and could then also open the
> repository successfully on the Notebook as well as on Citrix.
>
> Conclusion: the problem is not on the Git-gui itself, but more on the
> repository. There seems to be a migration issue when opening a
> repository with V2.28 formatting with V2.32. Looks like the migration is
> done automatically from V2.28 to V2.30 to V2.32, but not from V2.28 to
> V2.32.

There is not actually any migration being performed.

My best guess is that your repository's shape might have been suboptimal,
and that a warm cache helped.

If this is the case, you might want to register regular Git maintenance on
it, so that future Git GUI starts won't be so slow as to appear to hang:
`git maintenance start`.

> I believe you will know whom to contact with this finding.

You already did: the Git mailing list ;-)

Ciao,
Johannes

> [...]
> > An: "Gerhard Buch" <Gerhard.Buch@web.de>
> > Cc: git@vger.kernel.org
> > Betreff: Re: Git GUI does not start
> >
> > Hi Gerhard,
> >
> > On Wed, 11 Aug 2021, Gerhard Buch wrote:
> >
> > > Git GUI does not start any more and I'd like to share the bugreport
> > > below.
> >
> > Since bug reports easily get lost on the mailing list, I have a preference
> > for Git for Windows reports to be opened at
> > https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/new. That method also
> > provides a more helpful bug report template.
> >
> > I have to admit that I am somewhat surprised by your bug report because I
> > specifically verify that Git GUI starts whenever releasing a new Git for
> > Windows version.
> >
> > > Any idea how I can get diagnostic information to find die
> > > problem?
> >
> > Since you reported this for your Windows setup, it would be good to know
> > what your Windows version is.
> >
> > Having said that, the most obvious difference between v2.28.0 and
> > v2.32.0(2) with regards to Git GUI is that Tcl/Tk was upgraded from
> > v8.6.10 to v8.6.11.
> >
> > If you could test with v2.30.0 (which still has the old Tcl/Tk) and with
> > v2.30.1 (which has the new one), that could help pinpoint the issue.
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Johannes
> >

> > > best regards
> > >
> > > Gerhard

> > > What did you do before the bug happened? (Steps to reproduce your issue)
> > > Open Git GUI -> choose open existing projekt
> > > It worked with the previsous version 2.28 before. Before posting the bugreport I updated to the most recent version to be at the latest version.
> > >
> > > What did you expect to happen? (Expected behavior)
> > > That Git GUI opens...
> > >
> > > What happened instead? (Actual behavior)
> > > Git GUI icon appears in task bar, but not the usual Git GUI window.
> > > On left click on the task bar icon, the top entry says Wish Application. On choosing this entry two Windows appear.
> > > One is empty. The second is titled "Konsole" and has (System32) 1% in the field below the menu bar.
> > > What's different between what you expected and what actually happened?
> > > Git Gui does not start and there is no indication on possible reasons for this.
> > >
> > > Anything else you want to add:
> > > I've checked the project directory with git cmd:
> > > git status:
> > > On branch <branch name>
> > > nothing to commit, working tree clean
> > >

> > > [System Info]
> > > git version:
> > > git version 2.32.0.windows.2
> > > cpu: x86_64
> > > built from commit: 3d45ac813c4adf97fe3733c1f763ab6617d5add5
> > > sizeof-long: 4
> > > sizeof-size_t: 8
> > > shell-path: /bin/sh
> > > feature: fsmonitor--daemon
> > > uname: Windows 10.0 17763
> > > compiler info: gnuc: 10.3
> > > libc info: no libc information available
> > > $SHELL (typically, interactive shell): <unset>

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-08-16 12:46 UTC | newest]