Hi Philippe, On Wed, 8 Sep 2021, Philippe Blain wrote: > Hi Phillip, > > Le 2021-09-08 à 09:41, Phillip Wood via GitGitGadget a écrit : > > From: Phillip Wood > > > > The "apply" based rebase has avoided forking git checkout since > > ac7f467fef ("builtin/rebase: support running "git rebase "", > > 2018-08-07). The code that handles the checkout was moved into libgit > > by b309a97108 ("reset: extract reset_head() from rebase", 2020-04-07) > > so lets start using it for the "merge" based rebase as well. This > > opens the way for us to stop calling the post-checkout hook in the > > future. > > > > While in general I think it's a good thing to avoid forking, this change > might result in behavioral differences. Any config that affects > 'git checkout' but not the internal 'reset.c::reset_head' function might > play a role in the rebase UX. > > One that immediately came to mind is 'submodule.recurse'. This initial > 'onto' checkout was pretty much the only part of 'git rebase' that did > something useful for submodules, so it's kind of sad to see it regress. > [That is, until someone takes the time to implement 'git rebase > --recurse-submodules' and makes sure *all* code paths that touch the > working tree pay attention to this flag, and that will probably > necessitate 'git merge --recurse-submodules' first because of the > 'merge' backend... as far as I'm aware it's on Emily's list [1], it's > also on mine but I don't know when I'll get the time.] Good point, there is more in the `git_checkout_config()` function (which is `static` in `builtin/checkout.c`, and could easily be moved to `checkout.[ch]`). We should probably fall back to calling that function rather than `git_default_config()` in `rebase_config()`. > Anyway, I'm not saying that we should not do what this patch is > proposing, but I think caveats such as that should be documented in the > commit message, and maybe an audit of other configs that might results > in behavioural differences should be done. Since this is already a bug in the `apply` backend, it would be even better to follow-up with a fix, hint, hint, nudge, nudge ;-) Ciao, Dscho