Hi Peff & Patrick, On Fri, 5 Nov 2021, Jeff King wrote: > On Fri, Nov 05, 2021 at 03:07:18AM -0400, Jeff King wrote: > > > 2. It's not clear what the performance implications will be, > > especially on a busy server doing a lot of ref updates, or on a > > filesystem where fsync() ends up syncing everything, not just the > > one file (my impression is ext3 is such a system, but not ext4). > > Whereas another solution may be journaling data and metadata writes > > in order without worrying about the durability of writing them to > > disk. > > > > I suspect for small updates (say, a push of one or two refs), this > > will have little impact. We'd generally fsync the incoming packfile > > and its idx anyway, so we're adding may one or two fsyncs on top of > > that. But if you're pushing 100 refs, that will be 100 sequential > > fsyncs, which may add up to quite a bit of latency. It would be > > nice if we could batch these by somehow (e.g., by opening up all of > > the lockfiles, writing and fsyncing them, and then renaming one by > > one). > > So here's a quick experiment that shows a worst case: a small push that > updates a bunch of refs. After building Git with and without your patch, > I set up a small repo like: > > git init > git commit --allow-empty -m foo > for i in $(seq 100); do > git update-ref refs/heads/$i HEAD > done > > To give a clean slate between runs, I stuck this in a script called > "setup": > > #!/bin/sh > rm -rf dst.git > git init --bare dst.git > sync > > And then ran: > > $ hyperfine -L v orig,fsync -p ./setup '/tmp/{v}/bin/git push dst.git refs/heads/*' > Benchmark 1: /tmp/orig/bin/git push dst.git refs/heads/* > Time (mean ± σ): 9.9 ms ± 0.2 ms [User: 6.3 ms, System: 4.7 ms] > Range (min … max): 9.5 ms … 10.5 ms 111 runs > > Benchmark 2: /tmp/fsync/bin/git push dst.git refs/heads/* > Time (mean ± σ): 401.0 ms ± 7.7 ms [User: 9.4 ms, System: 15.2 ms] > Range (min … max): 389.4 ms … 412.4 ms 10 runs > > Summary > '/tmp/orig/bin/git push dst.git refs/heads/*' ran > 40.68 ± 1.16 times faster than '/tmp/fsync/bin/git push dst.git refs/heads/*' > > So it really does produce a noticeable impact (this is on a system with > a decent SSD and no other disk load, so I'd expect it to be about > average for modern hardware). > > Now this test isn't entirely fair. 100 refs is a larger than average > number to be pushing, and the effect is out-sized because there's > virtually no time spent dealing with the objects themselves, nor is > there any network latency. But 400ms feels like a non-trivial amount of > time just in absolute numbers. > > The numbers scale pretty linearly, as you'd expect. Pushing 10 refs > takes ~40ms, 100 takes ~400ms, and 1000 takes ~4s. The non-fsyncing > version gets slower, too (there's more work to do), but much more slowly > (6ms, 10ms, and 50ms respectively). > > So this will definitely hurt at edge / pathological cases. Ouch. I wonder whether this could be handled similarly to the `core.fsyncObjectFiles=batch` mode that has been proposed in https://lore.kernel.org/git/pull.1076.v8.git.git.1633366667.gitgitgadget@gmail.com/ Essentially, we would have to find a better layer to do this, where we can synchronize after a potentially quite large number of ref updates has happened. That would definitely be a different layer than the file-based refs backend, of course, and would probably apply in a different way to other refs backends. Ciao, Dscho