From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Why is dedup inline, not delayed (as opposed to offline)? Explain like I'm five pls.
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 15:40:16 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Austin S. Hemmelgarn posted on Tue, 19 Jan 2016 07:28:44 -0500 as
excerpted:

> There's a reason I don't use KDE...
> (Well, a couple actually, the indexing getting pulled in is only part of
> it, I also dislike the all-or-nothing packaging (everything seems to
> depend on everything else), and having to update the whole thing in
> lock-step; somewhat ironically, GNOME has the same issues these days, so
> I don't use that either).

Rather OT for the list, but... while I'm still using a kde desktop, it's
pretty stripped down.  As I said, until I installed plasma5, I not only
had nepomuk/baloo turned off, but I had them stripped out at build-time
as well.  And I expect to get there again.  I'm already package.providing
udisks as a plasma5 dep as it's runtime-only, and expect to strip out
polkit similarly as I've seen indications it's runtime-only, as well as
baloo again eventually, and networkmanager.

Late in the kde3 cycle I was actually contemplating getting rid of the
last few gtk2 apps I had and switching to qt/kde only.  But over the
course of kde4, mostly at the beginning when kde4 was still so broken but
kde3 wasn't supported any more, but later (~4.6) for konqueror when it
became apparent its devs considered it little more than a toy, and kmail
when it jumped the akonadi shark, I switched off of kde for nearly
everything except the desktop itself, superkaramba (which is being
dropped tho plasma supposedly supports it, tho I could never get that to
work properly with my theme back before I decided to give up and just use
superkaramba, so I'm not sure whether I can get plasma to work there or
not and I might have to switch to gkrellm or some such), a few games
which I can give up or there's alternatives for, and dolphin and gwenview
as file and image managers, with gimv (GImageViewer) already installed as
an alternative for the latter and pretty much any graphic file manager
workable as a dolphin replacement since I do much of my file management
in the terminal using either CLI or the ncurses-based mc anyway.  So the
situation has nearly reversed from that of the late kde3 cycle, and now
I'd find it much easier to dump kde than gtk2, as it's primarily a
relatively lite kde desktop that's my not immediately replaceable kde
tools now.  And I'm sure I could find a workable alternative to it too,
if I had too.  Enlightenment has always been on my list to try, and a
(likely heavily customized by the time I'm done with it) qt-based lxde is
on my short list as well.

So we'll see how plasma5 develops.  Meanwhile, there's the x11/wayland
switch coming up, which could yet rock the Linux desktop environment
landscape pretty wildly, changing it as we know it and putting entirely
different environments at the forefront a few years from now.  But other
than gnome, which isn't an option for me due to their "our way is the
only correct way" attitude, and kde, I simply don't know enough about
what other environments are doing with it to have the foggiest, at this
point, particularly if I don't choose to stay with kde/plasma as my
desktop thru that transition, which is a possibility.