From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: default mount options 3.10
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 12:23:18 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Martin Steigerwald posted on Fri, 23 Aug 2013 14:58:07 +0200 as excerpted:

> Am Freitag, 23. August 2013, 12:29:42 schrieb Xavier Bassery:
>> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:38:56 +0200
>>
>> David Kofler <dkofler92@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > can someone tell me which mount options are included in "defaults"
>> > mount option? Couldn't find this in BTRFS Wiki. I'm using Debian
>> > Wheezy 7.1 and Linux kernel 3.10.6.
>> > Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Hi,
>> you've looked at the wrong place.
>> From mount man page:
>>
>> FILESYSTEM INDEPENDENT MOUNT OPTIONS defaults : Use default options:
>> rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, async
>
> That are just VFS options, no BTRFS specific ones.
>
> A good way is to look at output of "mount" and "cat /proc/mounts". It
> can differ from situation as well, for example SSD or not.
>
> But some hints at BTRFS default options are also on (search for
> "default"):
>
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mount_options

FWIW, space_cache seems to be the default now, and for ssds (detected if
sysfs has a device rotation value of zero), ssd.  There's some others
that are the normal default now, but aren't listed (flushoncommit is
one), as running with those features disabled can increase performance
but also dramatically increases chance of data loss, so it's not
recommended.

Compression options are the big ones you may want to add, but they aren't
default as usage is too varied for them to be a sane default.  And of
course ssd if it applies and isn't detected, and possibly ssd_spread.

I recommend autodefrag for general use, as well, but you'll want to have
it enabled when you first start copying data to the filesystem, and some
distros don't enable it by default and setup a system on btrfs, which
means there's fragmentation to begin with, and performance will probably
be bad for awhile (even on newly setup systems!) when the option is first
enabled as a result.  You can readup on defrag on the wiki for a defrag
command that should fix the problem, but unfortunately the command isn't
as straightforward as one might expect.  (Also note that if compression
is enabled, a compressed file over a certain size, 128 MiB IIRC, but I'm
not sure if that's compressed or uncompressed size, will appear
fragmented to filefrag no matter what.  That's an artifact of the way
btrfs handles compression.)

Inode_cache LOOKS good, but beware; people have reported problems with it
and unsafe shutdowns or the like.  So it's probably best to avoid it
unless you really need it for your workload and judge it to be worth the
risk.  That's why it's not the default, yet.