From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: btrfs check segfaults after flipping 2 Bytes
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 04:10:21 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Qu Wenruo posted on Mon, 06 Oct 2014 10:29:53 +0800 as excerpted:

> 2 problems here.
>
> [1] csum mismatch As already mentioned by Ducan and Brendan, the csum
> does not match.
>
> What makes thing much worse, since small file's extent is inlined, the
> data is stored in metadata tree blocks,
> and the file system is almost empty so the inline extent lies in the
> *root* leaf of fs_tree.
> These two unfortunate facts makes the whole fs_tree corrupted(only one
> leaf, and its cusm dismatch),
> which cause btrfs-progs segfault.

So I nailed it. =:^)

> The good news is that, the bug in btrfs-progs is already fixed by Wang's
> patch:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/4254631/
> So at least, btrfs-progs will not segfault anymore.
>
> [2] two occurences?
> So you definitely changed something you should not touch... maybe
> another tree root?

1) Single device btrfs, therefore...
2) DUP metadata by default.

3) Small file, therefore...
4) Inlined in (DUP) metadata, therefore...

5) Two occurrences, each a copy of the (metadata-inlined) file in its own
instance of the (duped) metadata block.

I nailed it again. =:^)

But the connection between the mentioned tree root patch and this
particular bug had escaped me, so that's useful new information to me
too, resolving the problem that I spotted but had no clue whether it was
even fixable.  Thanks.  =:^)