From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: btrfs restore corrupt file
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 09:25:35 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Jorge Bastos posted on Wed, 22 Nov 2017 19:18:59 +0000 as excerpted:

> Hello,
>
> While doing btrfs checksum testing I purposely corrupted a file and got
> the expect I/O error when trying to copy it, I also tested btrfs restore
> to see if I could recover a known corrupt file and it did copy it but
> there was no checksum error or warning. I used btrfs restore -v
>
> Is this expect behavior or should restore warn about checksum failures?
>
> Kernel used was 4.13.13,  btrfs-progs v4.13.2

AFAIK it's expected.  The purpose of btrfs restore, after all, is to try
to get at least some files back from a filesystem that is generally
damaged and unable to mount, so acceptance of some possible damage to
restored files as a tradeoff for being able to restore them *at* *all* is
assumed.  It's not /supposed/ to be a substitute for having a proper
backup in the first place, only something to try in case there was no
backup and getting back a damaged file is better than getting back no
file, or in case there was a backup, but it wasn't current, in which case
the restored files can be verified against the backup, and those that
differ can be examined to see if the difference is due to legitimate
change, or corruption.