From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Subvolumes cannot be mounted after raid1 conversion
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 09:54:28 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

hasse posted on Tue, 03 May 2016 20:38:14 +0200 as excerpted:

> I have found the easy solution. From
>
>     First:
>
>     # systemctl daemon-reload
>
>     followed by:
>
>     # systemctl restart remote-fs.target
>
>     or
>
>     # systemctl restart local-fs.target
>
>     depending on filesystem type
>
> I still think it is pretty stupid that systemd doesn't monitor
> /etc/fstab (when choosing to create it own secret files) :)

Indeed.  And thanks for that hint about what to restart.  It will likely
save me some time when I look into things in a bit more detail, here. =:^)

FWIW, my pet gripe about systemd filesystem via fstab handling is...  I
have several levels of backup mountable from fstab, for example, the
first backup root which is also btrfs raid1 on different partitions on
the same pair of ssds as my primary btrfs raid1 root, and a second and
third backup roots that are still reiserfs on spinning rust.  Similarly
for home, the media partition, the distro updates tree and (since it's
gentoo) build machinery partition, etc.

But while I have different mountpoints for the backups based on whether
they're of root/home/media/packages, all root backups, for instance,
share the same root-backup mountpoint, as there's little reason for me to
mount more than one backup of a particular type at a time (and a big
reason not to, since in theory that endangers more than one at a time
should something go wrong).  I mount by label and all the fstab lines
have different LABEL= first-fields, so it's fine, and has worked well for
me for years now.

But at boot and every time I run systemctl daemon-reload or daemon-reexec
(the latter of which I often run after updates that affected some library
that systemd uses, so it's not running the old version and I can
ultimately remount my / readonly again, as it is by default and except
when updating), systemd complains about it, because its *.mount unit
files are named after the mountpoint, and the multiple fstab entries for
the same mountpoint means it tries to create multiple identically named
mount unit files.

The systemd devs are very aware of the problem as I've seen discussion of
it elsewhere, but their policy is simply only one fstab entry per
mountpoint, and they see the failure to support more as a feature, not a
bug.

I've always thought if I got bored I might post a message on the systemd
discussion list and ask what their recommendation is, for people that
don't want to uselessly track all those extra mount points for multiple
levels of backup but still want the convenience of having the entries in
fstab, so feeding mount just the LABEL= line works (as does the mountpoint
for just mounting the first/default entry), just to see what sort of
recommendation they'd have, but I know better than to think that I'd get
them to change the policy and call systemd's failure to support the
multiple fstab entries for a single mountpoint feature a bug, instead of
a feature.

Oh, well...  As long as it still works in practice, as it has so far,
systemd complaining every time I reload it, isn't going to hurt me.

But if it stops working, get out the torches and pitchforks! =:^)