From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Carefully crafted BTRFS-image causes kernel to crash
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 06:45:29 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Lukas Lueg posted on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 21:50:23 +0200 as excerpted:

> To give some context: Testing the userland tools to some depths comes
> back with around 13 percent of all execution paths in around 40 million
> runs to result in a segmentation fault, an uncatched divide-by-zero or
> self-destruction due to a heap buffer overflow catched by glibc. That is
> to be compared with zero crashes in the ext2fs userland tools.

In a field of 40 million trinity fuzz tester runs, one out of eight btrfs-
tools userspace runs crashed due to some abnormality, compared to 0
crashes for e2fsprogs.

That's _very_ impressive for e2fs.  I'm sure it's because people have
been doing just that, beating on it with trinity and the like, for
awhile, and the problems have been fixed already, but that makes it no
less impressive.  It takes both work and loving care to get to that
point, and this demonstrates just how much of that it gets, to get to the
_zero_ crash (in tens of millions of runs) point.

Meanwhile, one of eight for btrfs-progs.  Of course the focus has so far
been pretty much on just getting the tools and basic functionality, so
there's a reason, but it has a _long_ way to go from one of eight to
_zero_ of 40-million!

Just one more demonstration of the fact that btrfs really isn't and can't
be called stable yet, even if from about a year ago they _have_ pretty
well stripped all the warnings telling people that.

Of course userspace is only the half of it, but _zero_ fuzzer crashes in
40 million runs... userspace or kernelspace regardless, that's quite some
work showing off there, and they have a right to be proud of it.  Btrfs
would be so lucky!  But your beating on it and Qu's fixup patches are a
start at getting us there.  Thanks! =:^)