From: "Holger Hoffstätte" <holger.hoffstaette@googlemail.com>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: hard lockup while balance was running killed my raid5
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 17:03:19 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

On Tue, 05 May 2015 11:36:07 -0500, Perry Gilfillan wrote:

> My kernel
> Linux lightmyfire 4.1.0-0.rc1.git1.1.fc23.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun May 3
> 14:26:14 CDT 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I've got btrfs-progs and btrfs-progs-unstable from git, so I'll use
> which ever might be useful for any further diagnostics.
>
> Since devid 1 & 2 appear to be fully utilized, I set off a balance, the
> system locked up,  and nothing I've read points to a solution yet.

I've also had a hard lockup just the other day during a balance (on a
single device though), so this points to some changes in the 4.1 merge
window.

Just to confirm: by "hard lockup" you mean that the entire box is frozen,
no longer shows any signs of life and no longer responds to anything?

One thing you could try is to mount your devices without the free-space
cache (-o clear_cache,nospace_cache) and try to run the balance.

Would be interesting to see if that helps.

-h