From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>
To: Dr Nicholas J Bailey <nicholas.bailey@glasgow.ac.uk>
Cc: alsa-devel@alsa-project.org, Daniel Mack <daniel@zonque.org>
Subject: Re: usb-usx2y: playback fails with Tascam US122 on	kernel 3.14
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 09:02:44 +0200	[thread overview]

At Wed, 20 Aug 2014 18:50:21 +0100,
Dr Nicholas J Bailey wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 August 2014 19:19:22 Daniel Mack wrote:
> > The best thing you can do is probably bisect the issue:
> >
> >   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection
> >
> > > I understand that the US-122 is a usb-1.1 device and I have the ehci
> > > module  loaded, but it was there too with the older kernel and that
> > > worked fine.
> > Yes, that shouldn't be an issue. Let us know what the bisection tells you.
> >

> > Daniel
>
> OK, I put aside some time to try and do this and didn't get too far :(
>
> I'm using debian testing (jessie) so I cloned from
>
> 	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
>
> rather than the ubuntu one, as recommended here:
>
> 	https://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernel/GitBisect
>
> The test I wanted to work was to make the command
>
> 	jackd -u -dalsa -dhw:1,0 -r48000 -p512 -n3
>
> behave as expected, hw:1,0 being my Tascam US-122 sound box.
>
> To be sure, I booted up kernel 3.10.11 to which I'd applied patches to make
> the MIDI interface of the box work. This is documented on the ALSA-devel list
> a while back. It did. I played audio through it while it was configured duplex
> at the same time watching a video and building a new kernel.
>
> I checked out v3.11 from the kernel tree, and built it. When it ran, I got a
> failure from the same jack command:
>
> """
> ALSA: poll time out, polled for 15999083 usecs
> JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, stopping...
> """
>
> So far, so good. That can be the bad end of the bisection. The trouble is,
> building 3.10 resulted in exactly the same error. My version 3.10.11 (which
> works) is build from the debian source package rather than the kernel source,
> so presumably the applied patches do something good which makes the sound
> system happier. Heavens knows what.
>
> For a laugh I pulled the latest 3.16 source package from the debian repo and
> built that. This produced the same failure as above.
>
> So the thing is, I can't make any stock kernel work on my Debian laptop, which
> means there aren't two points between which to bisect.
>
> That's all I've got time for at the moment. I'll append the notes I made
> yesterday and today while the builds and tests were going on, just in case
> they are any help. At least I have a kernel (3.10.11) that works for now, but
> unless somebody who really knows what they are doing is going on the case, it
> looks like its just a matter of time before I'll be buying a whole bunch of
> new audio interfaces. We have at least 4 or 5 of these Tascam US-122 boxes,
> and use them quite a lot, so I am nervously fingering my wallet... :(

Try to build 3.10.11 from linux-stable tree manually and see whether
it works.  If yes, there must be a fix between 3.10 and 3.10.11, and
you can bisect it easily.

If the manual built 3.10.11 kernel doesn't work, it's most likely a
kernel config issue, assuming that Debian doesn't put so many own
kernel patches (especially for the sound stuff).

Takashi