* Indirect Callback with ack is called with no data
@ 2009-06-05 11:49 Singaravelan Nallasellan
From: Singaravelan Nallasellan @ 2009-06-05 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

I am using indirect callback mechanism inside ack. I see that ack does not call my indirect callback pointer. Going through the code, I suspect that the appl_ptr is not being incremented and there is no data for the indirect callback to be called.

After few acks, I get the indirect callback called.

With aplay, I am able to play the wav file. But with flash, there is not data being sent to the driver.

Please help me with any clues.

Thanks in advance.

Sing

* Re: Indirect Callback with ack is called with no data
@ 2009-06-08 13:51 ` Harsha, Priya
From: Harsha, Priya @ 2009-06-08 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

I am facing this issue with flash.

With aplay and paplay, the audio drivers are working perfectly ok.

With flash player, the audio stops after sometime. The reason is that flash player is not sending data. All the data sent from Flash has been played out and reported accurately as well in _pointer function.

Can anyone help with any clues of flash player working with ALSA?

This would really help.

Thanks
Harsha

@ 2009-06-11  6:57   ` Harsha, Priya
From: Harsha, Priya @ 2009-06-11  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

When I enabled Pulse audio I don't find this issue happening. I guess there is some magic that Pulse audio does to make Flash work properly.

If anyone can help me understand why this is so, it would be great.

Thanks,
Harsha

* submitting patches to ALSA
@ 2009-06-18 16:03 ` Harsha, Priya
From: Harsha, Priya @ 2009-06-18 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

This is the first time I am planning to submit patches to ALSA. Are there any tips/rules I need to follow?

I have followed the general guidelines like checkpatch, testing with different debug configs etc.

I have a few questions;
1. Against which kernel tree should I create patches to submit to ALSA devel mailing list?
2. I have to download firmware as a part of my driver. This firmware file is freely distributable. How should I share the firmware binary file when I send the patches? The firmware binary file would reside in /lib/firmware
3. Is there anything else I need to send to the mailing list in addition to the patches?
4. Are there any test suits that I can use to test the driver?

Thanks,
Harsha

* Re: submitting patches to ALSA
@ 2009-06-19  7:03   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-06-19  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsha, Priya; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:33:54 +0530,
Harsha, Priya wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the first time I am planning to submit patches to ALSA. Are
> there any tips/rules I need to follow?

In general, the rule for LKML is applied here, too.

> I have followed the general guidelines like checkpatch, testing with
> different debug configs etc.

Great.

> I have a few questions;
> 1. Against which kernel tree should I create patches to submit to
> ALSA devel mailing list?

Try to apply always to the latest tree, e.g. sound git tree below
	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git

> 2. I have to download firmware as a part of my driver. This firmware
> file is freely distributable. How should I share the firmware binary
> file when I send the patches? The firmware binary file would reside
> in /lib/firmware

The firmware file would be either in alsa-firmware package or in
linux-firmware package.  First you can put it to alsa-firmware
package, and we can push them to the upstream linux-firmware package
once after your driver gets merged.

> 3. Is there anything else I need to send to the mailing list in
> addition to the patches?

A good series of patches is self-explanatory :)

> 4. Are there any test suits that I can use to test the driver?

It's a timely question.  We want to discuss this, especially per
request from LSB.  In short answer: no test suits for the time being.
Most people tested with aplay and speaker-test as standard test
programs.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: submitting patches to ALSA
@ 2009-06-20  3:07     ` Harsha, Priya
From: Harsha, Priya @ 2009-06-20  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

Thanks Takashi.

I have tested it already with aplay, papaly and firefox flash, etc,.

Regarding the firmware binary, need I send it as a part of the patch in the email or can I be upload it in a common location where anyone can access it?

Also, I am waiting for few dependant drivers to be submitted for upstream before I can submit my patches otherwise it would break.

Thanks,
Harsha

@ 2009-06-20  7:31       ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-06-20  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsha, Priya; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Sat, 20 Jun 2009 08:37:03 +0530,
Harsha, Priya wrote:

> Thanks Takashi.
>
> I have tested it already with aplay, papaly and firefox flash, etc,.
>
> Regarding the firmware binary, need I send it as a part of the patch
> in the email or can I be upload it in a common location where anyone
> can access it?

Just as you like.  I don't care in which way.

> Also, I am waiting for few dependant drivers to be submitted for
> upstream before I can submit my patches otherwise it would break.

Oh, is it completely independent from the sound stuff, or could it be
a part of a big change including the sound driver?

thanks,

Takashi

@ 2009-06-22  7:04         ` Harsha, Priya
From: Harsha, Priya @ 2009-06-22  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

Its independent of the sound stuff but the driver will just not get enumerated and will not be able to function with 2 other dependant drivers which are required for the platform.

Thanks,
Harsha

@ 2009-06-22  7:07           ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-06-22  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsha, Priya; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:34:55 +0530,
Harsha, Priya wrote:

> Its independent of the sound stuff but the driver will just not get
> enumerated and will not be able to function with 2 other dependant
> drivers which are required for the platform.

In that case, make the Kconfig of the sound driver part dependent on
other base driver/platform Kconfig item, so that it won't be built
until the base part gets merged.

Takashi

@ 2009-06-23  8:06             ` Harsha, Priya
From: Harsha, Priya @ 2009-06-23  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

Another quick question... Apologies for asking basic questions here... (Since it's my first time)

Do I need to mail the patches only here? Or need I mail it to Linux list as well to get feedback and acceptance.

Thanks,
Harsha

@ 2009-06-23 11:16               ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-06-23 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsha, Priya; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:36:29 +0530,
Harsha, Priya wrote:

> Another quick question... Apologies for asking basic questions
> here... (Since it's my first time)
>
> Do I need to mail the patches only here? Or need I mail it to Linux
> list as well to get feedback and acceptance.

As you like.  But in general, the changes to a subsystem is discussed
in the subsystem ML, so posting to alsa-devel ML should suffice.

Takashi