* Regression in kernel 3.19-rc5 for usb2 scarlett 18i20
@ 2015-01-25 11:42 Guido Aulisi
From: Guido Aulisi @ 2015-01-25 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,
I noticed a regression in 3.19-rc5 kernel (as shipped by fedora rawhide)
with usb2 focusrite scarlett 18i20.
I get a lot of xruns with jack, even at 1024 frame buffer and 2 periods.
In 3.17.8 it works quite well without xruns at the same settings.

I use a fedora 20 (64bit) laptop with 8GB ram,  I only installed the
rawhide kernel to try the new included scarlett mixer, no other software
components changed.

I can try to do some other test, but compiling the kernel on this laptop
is time consuming.

Thanks
Guido

* Re: Regression in kernel 3.19-rc5 for usb2 scarlett 18i20
@ 2015-01-26 13:04 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2015-01-26 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Aulisi; +Cc: alsa-devel, Chris J Arges

At Sun, 25 Jan 2015 12:42:22 +0100,
Guido Aulisi wrote:

> Hi,
> I noticed a regression in 3.19-rc5 kernel (as shipped by fedora rawhide)
> with usb2 focusrite scarlett 18i20.
> I get a lot of xruns with jack, even at 1024 frame buffer and 2 periods.
> In 3.17.8 it works quite well without xruns at the same settings.
>
> I use a fedora 20 (64bit) laptop with 8GB ram,  I only installed the
> rawhide kernel to try the new included scarlett mixer, no other software
> components changed.
>
> I can try to do some other test, but compiling the kernel on this laptop
> is time consuming.
>
> Thanks
> Guido

Looks like a regression in the recent rework for Scarlett devices.
Chris, do you have any clue?

In anyway, Guido, could you give lsusb -v output (for the relevant
part)?

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: Regression in kernel 3.19-rc5 for usb2 scarlett 18i20
@ 2015-01-26 13:28   ` Guido Aulisi
From: Guido Aulisi @ 2015-01-26 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel, Chris J Arges

I will ASAP, now I'm not at home.
IMHO I think this is something about usb than the mixer,
because I didn't use it, I only noticed the xruns even without playing audio.
I didn't try 3.18, because it isn't shipped with fedora yet.

Ciao

@ 2015-01-26 13:31     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2015-01-26 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Aulisi; +Cc: alsa-devel, Chris J Arges

At Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:28:14 +0100,
Guido Aulisi wrote:

> I will ASAP, now I'm not at home.
> IMHO I think this is something about usb than the mixer,
> because I didn't use it, I only noticed the xruns even without playing audio.
> I didn't try 3.18, because it isn't shipped with fedora yet.

Well, then we might need the git bisection, I'm afraid...

thanks,

Takashi

@ 2015-01-26 14:30     ` Chris J Arges
From: Chris J Arges @ 2015-01-26 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Aulisi, Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

On 01/26/2015 07:28 AM, Guido Aulisi wrote:
> I will ASAP, now I'm not at home.
> IMHO I think this is something about usb than the mixer,
> because I didn't use it, I only noticed the xruns even without playing audio.
> I didn't try 3.18, because it isn't shipped with fedora yet.
>
> Ciao

>> At Sun, 25 Jan 2015 12:42:22 +0100,
>> Guido Aulisi wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I noticed a regression in 3.19-rc5 kernel (as shipped by fedora rawhide)
>>> with usb2 focusrite scarlett 18i20.
>>> I get a lot of xruns with jack, even at 1024 frame buffer and 2 periods.
>>> In 3.17.8 it works quite well without xruns at the same settings.

Guido, Takashi,

I tried to reproduce this and failed on my Scarlett 18i8 (I don't have
any other hardware).

I've just tested Ubuntu's 3.18.2 and daily mainline 3.19-r5 as follows:
1) Setup Scarlett 18i8 w/ jack (RT, 1024 frames/period, sample rate 48k,
periods/buffer 2).
2) Launch Ardour3 and create/arm 8 tracks
3) Hit record

Using this I was unable to see any XRuns even when using Scarlett's
mixer with alsamixer in the background on 3.19.

Let me know more details.
Thanks,
--chris j arges

@ 2015-01-26 22:32       ` Guido Aulisi
From: Guido Aulisi @ 2015-01-26 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris J Arges; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel

I tried 3.19-rc6 and it seems to work well...
I compiled it myself using fedora config from
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/kernel.git/

Also the mixer is present and I could switch headphones on and off
(great thing).
I still have to understand most of the controls...
Thank you for the support.
If I have some time the next days, I'll try to bisect from rc5 to rc6,
to see if some commit fixed this issue, or if more probably I did
something wrong.
I always used the same usb port on my laptop, these are some info about
it:

Linux 3.19.0-rc6 #1 SMP Mon Jan 26 22:21:16 CET 2015 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1235:800c Focusrite-Novation Scarlett 18i20
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching
Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0cf3:3005 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR3011
Bluetooth
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0c45:6436 Microdia
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching
Hub

System Information
	Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
	Product Name: VPCEH2H1E