* Intel HDA volume low
@ 2009-03-08 11:23 Daniel Stodden
From: Daniel Stodden @ 2009-03-08 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi.

I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad T400 with snd_hda_intel:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device 20f2

I think this is the same chip which recently quirks entries to work
around docking issues on the Thinkpad x200.

The codec is identified as a conexant CX20561 (Hermosa).

Running Ubuntu 8.10 with 2.6.27, the Volume is extremely low. Quality
seems okay, but setting Master and PCM outputs to 100% is barely
audible. There's a bunch of similar reports on the Internet. I could not
find any workaround but Window users usually report the volume should be
fine.

I tried 2.6.28 but to no avail. Will verify against latest git.

Could someone help me fix this? I don't actually know much about the
hardware in question, but would also willing to poke a little around in
patch_conexant.c, if that could help identifying the issue. Provided
someone someone around here has advice on what to try out.

Cheers,
Daniell

* Re: Intel HDA volume low
@ 2009-03-12 23:56 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-03-12 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Stodden; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Sun, 08 Mar 2009 04:23:26 -0700,
Daniel Stodden wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad T400 with snd_hda_intel:
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
> Controller (rev 03)
> Subsystem: Lenovo Device 20f2
>
> I think this is the same chip which recently quirks entries to work
> around docking issues on the Thinkpad x200.
>
> The codec is identified as a conexant CX20561 (Hermosa).
>
> Running Ubuntu 8.10 with 2.6.27, the Volume is extremely low. Quality
> seems okay, but setting Master and PCM outputs to 100% is barely
> audible. There's a bunch of similar reports on the Internet. I could not
> find any workaround but Window users usually report the volume should be
> fine.
>
> I tried 2.6.28 but to no avail. Will verify against latest git.
>
> Could someone help me fix this? I don't actually know much about the
> hardware in question, but would also willing to poke a little around in
> patch_conexant.c, if that could help identifying the issue. Provided
> someone someone around here has advice on what to try out.

Try the very latest alsa-driver in sound git tree
    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git

or the snapshot tarball
    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz

There are some fixes recently regarding Conexant codecs.

If this still doesn't work, please run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload
option and attach the generated file.  The script is found at
    http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh

thanks,

Takashi