From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>
To: Bill Gou <Bill.Gou@Sun.COM>
Cc: Gou Zhuang <gouzhuang@bigfoot.com>, alsa-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Oops on resume, X crashes
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:29:08 +0200	[thread overview]

At Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:38:44 +0800,
Bill Gou wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:48:55 +0800,
> > Gou Zhuang wrote:
> >
> >>I'm running kernel 2.4.22 and alsa-0.9.7c on a Dell laptop. I have problem on
> >>suspend/resume when alsa modules loaded. I have done a few testings, below is my findings:
> >>
> >>If the snd-pcm-oss module is in use(by arts sound server) at the time of suspend, kernel
> >>oops upon resuming and X server crashes. It has no problem when snd-pcm-oss is not in use(
> >>released by arts). 0.9.6 has the same behavior. My sound card is on-board intel8x0.
> >>
> >>I searched the mail archive and didn't find any similar cases. Could anybody look into
> >>this problem?
> >

> > i don't see any obvious bugs in the resume code, and i thought it
> > worked fine once on my test machine.
> > could you check at which funciton the oops occurs, e.g. simply by
> > puttig debug printk at each entry point?  according to ksymoops, it's
> > in snd_intel8x0_resume() (i.e. intel8x0_resume()).  this could be
> > either in snd_intel8x0_chip_init() or snd_ac97_resume().
> > in the latter function, there is no sleep or no wakeup, so it's likely
> > in the former one.
> >

> > Takashi
> >
> I added some printks in intel8x0.c and ac97_codec.c, all printk outputs are labeled
> 'MYDEBUG'. I also enabled debug when compiling. This time I noticed the below debug
> message after resuming, it repeated for 170 times:
>
> ALSA pcm_oss.c:552: snd_pcm_oss_prepare: SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_PREPARE failed

that's strange if this message appears before snd_intel8x0_resume() is
called.  if it's after the resume() call, it's ok.

> The last function called before kernel oops is snd_power_change_state().

yes, it looks like the wake_up() in that function.
but it should be ok.  perhaps memory corruption already occured
somewhere.  anyway, try to comment out the wake_up() there.

also, please try to do suspend with the minimum setting - i.e.
no applications running but just only the drivers.

Takashi

Here's your chance to show off your extensive product knowledge
We want to know what you know. Tell us and you have a chance to win $100
http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?HRPT1X3RYQNC5V4MLNSV3E54