From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>
To: VDR User <user.vdr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Missing surround channels with Nvidia HDMI & snd-hda-intel driver
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 07:29:37 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 06:53:37 +0100,
VDR User wrote:

> Ok, after doing a git bisect on the kernel tree, I wound up with:
>
> 41eb94fd26f6c150b0460e01ecc84d643355f9b6 is the first bad commit
> commit 41eb94fd26f6c150b0460e01ecc84d643355f9b6
> Author: Vinod Koul <vinod.koul@intel.com>
> Date:   Fri Mar 4 20:25:30 2016 +0530
>
>     ALSA: compress: fix some typos
>
> So, something must have went wrong because that commit is just
> spelling and grammar fixes in comments.

Yeah, that's very unlikely.

> How can I do a git bisect for just sound/ instead of the whole kernel?
> I assume I'd have to clone the kernel, delete sound/, then clone the
> alsa dev git sound/ in its place? It should be easier to git bisect in
> alsa, then simply recompile modules, install, load, test, and repeat
> until I find the offending commit right?

What you can try is to bisect like
   git bisect start -- sound/hda sound/pci/hda
   git bisect good v4.5
   git bisect bad v4.6-rc1

This will concentrate only on commits in sound/hda/* and
sound/pci/hda/*.  You have to be careful about the kernel version to
be built eventually jumping back and forth, and remember which one is
installed and rebooted/retested.  I usually put a different suffix
string to CONFIG_LOCALVERSION at each build or set
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO to put the git commit id.

Takashi