From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>
To: Stephen Warren <swarren@nvidia.com>
Cc: "'alsa-devel@alsa-project.org'" <alsa-devel@alsa-project.org>,
	Wei Ni <wni@nvidia.com>
Subject: Re: Missing 4-channel support on older NVIDIA MCP HW
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 08:05:35 +0200	[thread overview]

At Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:03:09 -0700,
Stephen Warren wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> >
> > At Tue, 31 Aug 2010 08:41:53 -0700,
> > Stephen Warren wrote:

> n >
> > > Oops, yes.
> > >
> > > Do you think that's the correct fix?
> > >
> > > If the driver errors out the open, will a plug: (or other non hw:) ALSA device
> > > dynamically "upsample" a 4-channel stream to the next supported (8-channel), or
> > > will the user application have to handle this?
> >
> > alsa-lib can do make working (e.g. via upmix plugin).  But other audio
> > backend can do it by itself.
> > IMO, telling the truth is a better approach.  It is 4-channel, after
> > all.
>
> Sorry to be dense, but when you say "audio backend", I'm not sure what you're
> referring to; the ALSA driver, the HW itself, or something else.

Think of PulseAudio, SDL, libao, whatever...

> Are you saying that I should modify patch_nvhdmi.c to somehow reformat the
> data before sending it to the device?
> Or, are you saying it'd be best if the HW handled it. That's true, but
> unfortunately, there's no way to fix that now!

No for both.  What I meant was that if the hardware doesn't support
it, we just need to show to user-space that it's not supported (i.e.
setting up hw_constraints appropriately via list).

> Finally, you mentioned the alsa-lib's upmix plugin. Will that automatically be
> used for a 4-channel stream when the HW only supports 8-channel, or will the
> application (or a config file) have to specifically activate this?

The latter, so far.  This plugin isn't in the standard automatic plug
conversion and it belongs to the extra alsa-plugins package.

thanks,

Takashi