At Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:17:02 -0800, Stephen Warren wrote: > > I'm attempting to get audio up and running on a new system with the > HD-Audio/ALC880. > > Part of the connectivity is: > > Line-2 pins are output, and connect to both the internal speakers on the > laptop, and a headphone jack. If I configure NID 0x1b as output, and NID > 0x13 to select the "front" input source, then program mixer NID 0x0c > correctly, and send data to DAC 0x02, then I hear audio on the speakers > (or headphones) just fine. Alsamixer correctly controls the volume. > > However, there are also 3 audio jacks on the back of the system - > namely, front, surround and center/lfe. These are allegedly connected to > the front, surround and center/lfe pins on the ALC880 (the side-surround > pins are unused). > > Now, I know DAC 0x02 and mixer 0x0c are working fine, since they affect > the internal speakers when routed through 0x13/0x1b. > > However, if I program pin NID 0x14 (front out) just like I programmed > pin NID 0x1b (line2), then I can't get anything to come out. As an > experiment, I tried every possible programming of pin NID 0x14, and > nothing works! > > The same experiment using DAC 0x03/0x04 and associated output pins > doesn't work either. I've sat running speakertest, plugging both > headphones and regular PC speakers into all the audio jacks, and no > luck. > > (I've also tested all the other DACs and mixers by routing them out the > line2 output, so I know the problem only lies with the other output pin > configuration, or beyond somewhere on the PCB) > > Any ideas of anything else I might try to debug this? I tested the test board here (which has 3-stack + front-panel) and found that the surround doesn't work here, too. It's because the wrong initialization sequence when switched to the 6-channel mode. After fixing it, the surround seems working well with 6-ch mode. The patch is below (already committed to CVS). I guess the wrong pin control assignment or the unmuted amp volumes in somewhere in your case, too. Takashi