From: "Arno Steffens" <star@gmx.li>
To: "Alexander Kanavin" <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com>
Cc: poky@yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: gnupg strip down
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 09:31:03 +0200	[thread overview]

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 26. April 2017 um 15:18 Uhr
> Von: "Alexander Kanavin" <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com>
> An: "Arno Steffens" <star@gmx.li>
> Cc: poky@yoctoproject.org
> Betreff: Re: Aw: Re: Re: [poky] gnupg strip down
>
> On 04/26/2017 03:52 PM, Arno Steffens wrote:
> > You know more than me ;)
> > I just checked the list of already existing packages.
> > I found 27 locale, one doc, one debug, one dev, one just gnugp.
> >
> > Even in the latter one, there are a lot of help files and binaries, and not a single lib.
> > Looking at the bb file doesn't give me a clue how to go on. Seems I am a greenhorn.
>
> I just looked. There is a bunch of binaries (in /usr/bin and sbin), a
> few helper binaries (in /usr/libexec) and the help files in
> /usr/share/gnupg. I don't think you can further split up the binaries
> (unless you *really* know what you are doing), and the help files aren't
> taking much space at all, about 320 kilobytes.
>
> If you insist, add a .bbappend file to your custom layer, where the
> unnecessary binaries are removed in do_install_append() (again, plenty
> of recipes in oe-core where this happens).
>

> Alex

Hi Alex,

I did as advised, created a bbappend for gnupg, like that:

do_install_append() {
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgsm
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-connect-agent
	rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr-client
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgscm
	rm ${D}${bindir}/watchgnupg
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgparsemail
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgconf
	rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgtar
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv2
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-agent
	rm ${D}${bindir}/kbxutil
	rm ${D}/usr/sbin/*
	rmdir ${D}/usr/sbin
	rm ${D}/usr/share/gnupg/help*
	rm ${D}/usr/libexec/gpg-*
	rm ${D}/usr/libexec/scdaemon
	rmdir ${D}/usr/libexec
}

First I get errors, cleaning files and leave directory, but than I get it, that I have to remove empty folders too. Ok, that could be done smarter. So just gpg and few small files left.

But I don't have an idea howto remove the libs, that seems to be required only by the removed binaries,
like libgnutils.so, libgmp.so - which are rather big ...  They are not in the gnupg.ipk, but somewhere else.
As far as I found out gpg itself need just 5 libs (libassuan, libbz2, libgcrypt, libgpg-error, libreadline).

I am aware that this is a custom embedded solution, where just the ability to verify signed files is needed.

Howto solve that?