From: Aghiles <aghilesk@gmail.com>
To: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s.dev@gmx.fr>
Cc: Thomas Rast <trast@student.ethz.ch>, git list <git@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: git pull suggestion
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 23:06:42 -0400	[thread overview]

Nicolas wrote:

>> Sorry, my explanation was not clear. I am talking about changes in the
>> working directory that are not in the index. So my working directory is
>> "dirty" and I just issue a 'git pull'. Because some files are not "up to date"
>> git would abort the pull, saying that a certain file is not "up to date".
>> So I was suggesting to list all the "problematic" files in one go instead.
>
> Doesn't 'git status' ouput what you want ? Or am I out of the scope ?

Kind of ! 'git status' will effectively tell you what files are modified but not
in the index. The problem is that there is no way to know what files are
in potential conflict with what is coming from 'git pull'. So basically, you can
have as many dirty files as you want in your working directory as long as
they are not conflicting with what's coming.
If dirty files are in conflict, then 'git pull' will complain, but slowly ... :)

Another way of looking at it: do we have a command to know if some files
that are _not_ in the index are in a conflict with some upstream repository.
I guess this would imply fetching and then doing some work but I am not a
git expert, not by a  stretch of the word!

  -- aghiles