From: Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@linux.dev>
To: Martin Steigerwald <martin@lichtvoll.de>
Cc: AP <lkml@inml.grue.cc>, linux-bcachefs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Error while unlocking encrypted BCacheFS: Required key not available
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 11:35:10 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 12:58:26PM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Kent Overstreet - 10.01.24, 20:13:59 CET:
> > On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 03:18:55PM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > AP - 10.01.24, 03:13:01 CET:

> > > As I wrote:
> > >
> > > "BCacheFS tools 1.3.3 – according to bcachefs version – from Debian
> > > package bcachefs-tools 24+really1.3.4-2.".

> > > That is where above package is from.
> >
> > The keyring stuff has been a perpetual utter headache.
> >
> > I've been debating rewriting that stuff to just pass a memfd handle as a
> > mount option and rip out keyring usage...
> >
> > alternately - now that we're pretty much always mounting via the mount
> > helper, perhaps it would be a little bit less fragile if the mount
> > helper was adding the key to the keyring - that might be worth checking.
>
> So no suggestion what to try to make it work except for putting BCacheFS
> unto LUKS? I wanted to get rid of LUKS for removable media. Often enough I
> have "cryptsetup luksClose" complaining about still in use while I the
> filesystem on top of it clearly got unmounted already. In these case BTRFS
> still.

I just made a couple suggestions. I'm sorry if they weren't exactly what
you were looking for?

If you or someone else wants to help out by writing some code, I just
laid out what needs to happen next - but I'm not your free helpdesk
here, and you're expecting an imediate fix that's not how this works :)