From: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>
To: Elijah Newren <newren@gmail.com>
Cc: ZheNing Hu <adlternative@gmail.com>,
	Christian Couder <christian.couder@gmail.com>,
	Git List <git@vger.kernel.org>,
	vascomalmeida@sapo.pt
Subject: Re: Question about pre-merge and git merge octopus strategy
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 05:56:58 -0700	[thread overview]

Elijah Newren <newren@gmail.com> writes:

>> If merge-recursive or merge-resolve is asked to merge a single
>> commit to the current branch without any other strategies to use as
>> a fallback, they leave the working tree and index into a state where
>> the end-user can conclude the conflict resolution and commit the
>> result.  In spirit, we are in the same situation, aren't we?
>
> I don't think it's quite the same....
> Or are you saying that if all merge strategies return a 2, we just
> treat the last one as good enough and consider the merge to be in
> progress?

No, I was just confusing the difference between the special return
value 2 and a normal failure value 1.

I have a feeling that it would be nice if we can restore to pristine
on the calling "git merge" side, rather than forcing individual
strategy backends to implement the restore-to-pristine correctly,
but in any case, as you said, we should behave as if a merge
strategy backend never run after it failed with exit value 2 by
restoring to pristine state.