From: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>
To: Leonardo <leobasilio@gmail.com>
Cc: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Merging branches with smudge filter
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 09:32:48 -0800	[thread overview]

Leonardo <leobasilio@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, everybody. I'm new to git and I'd like to keep track of some codes
> we have here in our company. They have some sensitive information I
> would like to keep private. After some googling, I found some
> solutions that encrypt/decrypt the files using filters as they're
> committed/checked out. I've been using this approach and it suits my
> needs. Now I need to merge two branches, but the process is failing
> for two files in particular. First of all, here's my config file:
>
> [filter "openssl"]
>     clean = openssl enc -aes-256-cbc -a -nosalt -pass pass:password
>     smudge = openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -a -nosalt -pass pass:password
>     required

Git works on the "clean" representation of the data, i.e. the
representation of the blob object stored in the object database and
in the index, when manipulating the contents, e.g. diffing two
variants, patching (think "add -p"), merging, etc.

As you are making the "clean" version an encrypted opaque sequence
of bytes, it is expected that you wouldn't be able to run 3-way
merges.