From: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>
To: AndyAo <zen96285@gmail.com>
Cc: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: How to disable Git from automatically identifying and managing embedded git repositories?
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 10:33:10 +0900	[thread overview]

AndyAo <zen96285@gmail.com> writes:

> When I upgraded Git from 2.24.1.windows.2 to 2.29.2.windows.2, I
> noticed that the embedded git repository is recognized in `git
> status`, and if I use `git add .` will manage the embedded git
> repository directly as a submodule, instead of just ignoring them,
> which is the behavior I want.
>
> How do I turn this off?

You can use the ignore mechanism to exclude it and "git add ." would
not touch it.

In my checkout of the git repository, I have a separate copy of the
same git repository and checked out at the path "Meta/".  In the
upper-level repository, I have "/Meta" in .git/info/exclude (among
other private-ignore patterns), and that would keep it out of the
main repository's index even with "git add ." (not that I'd ever use
"add everything", which I do not think have any place in my
workflow).  This is done without using .gitignore because it is
nobody else's business that I use such a "strange" setup and use the
pathname "Meta/" for it (hence project participants do not have to
know about it).