* References to old messages
@ 2016-12-21 23:12 Stephen & Linda Smith
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Stephen & Linda Smith @ 2016-12-21 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to pick up work  on a patch that I was working on previously.

I had been told to reference (i.e. footnote) a gmane URL.  With that service
no longer being being online, what is the preferred method footnoting?

sps

* Re: References to old messages
@ 2016-12-21 23:15 ` Stefan Beller
From: Stefan Beller @ 2016-12-21 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Stephen & Linda Smith <ischis2@cox.net> wrote:
> I want to pick up work  on a patch that I was working on previously.
>
> I had been told to reference (i.e. footnote) a gmane URL.  With that service
> no longer being being online, what is the preferred method footnoting?
>
> sps

See https://public-inbox.org/git/

* Re: References to old messages
@ 2016-12-21 23:20 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2016-12-21 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen & Linda Smith <ischis2@cox.net> writes:

> I want to pick up work  on a patch that I was working on previously.
>
> I had been told to reference (i.e. footnote) a gmane URL.  With that service
> no longer being being online, what is the preferred method footnoting?
>
> sps

The NNTP interface of GMane is still working, so referring to e.g.
$gmane/286483 _could_ identify a message uniquely, but people who do
not usually talk NNTP to GMane won't be able to find the message
with 286483, so it is not very nice.

The same message is referred to like this around here these days:

https://public-inbox.org/git/1455685597-22445-1-git-send-email-ischis2@cox.net/

The point is people know its message id is <14556855...@cox.net> and
refer to other archives with it, even when public-inbox.org is not
available.

* Re: References to old messages
@ 2016-12-22  1:00 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2016-12-22  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen & Linda Smith; +Cc: git

Stephen & Linda Smith <ischis2@cox.net> wrote:
> I had been told to reference (i.e. footnote) a gmane URL.  With that service
> no longer being being online, what is the preferred method footnoting?

What the others said about Message-IDs and public-inbox :)

If you only have old URLs pointing to gmane and no NNTP access,
you can also search for "gmane:$ARTICLE_NUMBER" via public-inbox
(at least up to messages around this summer):

	https://public-inbox.org/git/?q=gmane:12345

https://public-inbox.org/git/_/text/help documents other
search prefixes you can use, too.