On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:38:32PM -0700, Dylan Reid wrote: > On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:26 AM, Mark Brown wrote: > > So like I say I was thinking that either the jack object has a list of > > detection method phandles which point to other devices or the other > > devices point at the jack object. > I might not be completely following this. Do we want to create a > binding for the physical plug and another for the method used to > detect the if a device is attached? Yes, or at least allow other things to extend what the device is doing. > What is the benefit in separating the plug from the detection method, > these seem pretty tightly bound to me. There are three main types of > detection for headsets, gpio, ADC measurement, and offload to a codec > or HP chip. Are there situations where those would change separate > from how the jack is connected? No, but they can be combined onto a single jack - for example have a GPIO switch that detects mechanical insertion and a CODEC that detects microphone and button presses. The GPIO/ADC combination used to be very common, it's essentially just a non-integrated way of doing what your accessory detection device does. If you have non-audio functions on the jack then things get even richer.