alsa-devel.alsa-project.org archive mirror
* [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] fcplay: compressed audio test utility
@ 2019-11-19 11:26 Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2019-11-19 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Mark Brown, Pierre-Louis Bossart

Hello,

I have forked the cplay test app into fcplay which is a different repo
[1] licensed as LGPLv2.1. The reason for fork was me getting sick of
seeing the tool miss sync word for mp3 and no support for other formats
which I wanted to test. But I was lazy to start exploring all media
formats and write a parser for them so I have used libavcodec to the job
for me which is GPL.

The fcplay links to libavcodec to get compressed audio parameters and
then uses tinycompress to send data to sound card.

It supports mp3 (no more complaints about sync words) and Flac. I will
add more formats, wma etc are in the list along with gapless audio
playback and support for new changes coming to gapless audio playback
as discussed in audio meeting at Lyon.

As usual patches are welcome.

Jaroslav, can we add to alsa-project github as well?

Thanks
--
~Vinod

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] fcplay: compressed audio test utility
@ 2019-11-19 12:43 ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2019-11-19 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Mark Brown, Pierre-Louis Bossart

On 19-11-19, 16:56, Vinod Koul wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have forked the cplay test app into fcplay which is a different repo
> [1] licensed as LGPLv2.1. The reason for fork was me getting sick of
> seeing the tool miss sync word for mp3 and no support for other formats
> which I wanted to test. But I was lazy to start exploring all media
> formats and write a parser for them so I have used libavcodec to the job
> for me which is GPL.
>
> The fcplay links to libavcodec to get compressed audio parameters and
> then uses tinycompress to send data to sound card.
>
> It supports mp3 (no more complaints about sync words) and Flac. I will
> add more formats, wma etc are in the list along with gapless audio
> playback and support for new changes coming to gapless audio playback
> as discussed in audio meeting at Lyon.
>
> As usual patches are welcome.
>
> Jaroslav, can we add to alsa-project github as well?

Here is the missing link!

[1]: git@github.com:vinodkoul/fcplay.git
https://github.com/vinodkoul/fcplay/

--

@ 2019-11-26 10:27   ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2019-11-26 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul; +Cc: ALSA development

Dne 19. 11. 19 v 13:43 Vinod Koul napsal(a):
> On 19-11-19, 16:56, Vinod Koul wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have forked the cplay test app into fcplay which is a different repo
>> [1] licensed as LGPLv2.1. The reason for fork was me getting sick of
>> seeing the tool miss sync word for mp3 and no support for other formats
>> which I wanted to test. But I was lazy to start exploring all media
>> formats and write a parser for them so I have used libavcodec to the job
>> for me which is GPL.
>>
>> The fcplay links to libavcodec to get compressed audio parameters and
>> then uses tinycompress to send data to sound card.
>>
>> It supports mp3 (no more complaints about sync words) and Flac. I will
>> add more formats, wma etc are in the list along with gapless audio
>> playback and support for new changes coming to gapless audio playback
>> as discussed in audio meeting at Lyon.
>>
>> As usual patches are welcome.
>>
>> Jaroslav, can we add to alsa-project github as well?
>
> Here is the missing link!
>
> [1]: git@github.com:vinodkoul/fcplay.git
> https://github.com/vinodkoul/fcplay/

I would probably add this to the tinycompress package, too. The mixed licence
is not an issue, I think.

					Thanks,
						Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@perex.cz>

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] fcplay: compressed audio test utility
@ 2019-12-03 10:12     ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2019-12-03 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela; +Cc: ALSA development

On 26-11-19, 11:27, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> Dne 19. 11. 19 v 13:43 Vinod Koul napsal(a):
> > On 19-11-19, 16:56, Vinod Koul wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have forked the cplay test app into fcplay which is a different repo
> > > [1] licensed as LGPLv2.1. The reason for fork was me getting sick of
> > > seeing the tool miss sync word for mp3 and no support for other formats
> > > which I wanted to test. But I was lazy to start exploring all media
> > > formats and write a parser for them so I have used libavcodec to the job
> > > for me which is GPL.
> > >
> > > The fcplay links to libavcodec to get compressed audio parameters and
> > > then uses tinycompress to send data to sound card.
> > >
> > > It supports mp3 (no more complaints about sync words) and Flac. I will
> > > add more formats, wma etc are in the list along with gapless audio
> > > playback and support for new changes coming to gapless audio playback
> > > as discussed in audio meeting at Lyon.
> > >
> > > As usual patches are welcome.
> > >
> > > Jaroslav, can we add to alsa-project github as well?
> >
> > Here is the missing link!
> >
> > [1]: git@github.com:vinodkoul/fcplay.git
> > https://github.com/vinodkoul/fcplay/
>
> I would probably add this to the tinycompress package, too. The mixed
> licence is not an issue, I think.

That depends on who you talk to :-) Some folks seem to be averse to
anything *GPL*! so adding this to tinycompress can have issues for them.

--

@ 2019-12-03 10:23       ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2019-12-03 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul; +Cc: ALSA development

Dne 03. 12. 19 v 11:12 Vinod Koul napsal(a):
> On 26-11-19, 11:27, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

>>> Here is the missing link!
>>>
>>> [1]: git@github.com:vinodkoul/fcplay.git
>>> https://github.com/vinodkoul/fcplay/
>>
>> I would probably add this to the tinycompress package, too. The mixed
>> licence is not an issue, I think.
>
> That depends on who you talk to :-) Some folks seem to be averse to
> anything *GPL*! so adding this to tinycompress can have issues for them.

I mean that you can add a new tool to tinycompress with the LGPL-only licence.
It depends on the packager/user if he/she accepts it. So, dual BSD/LGPL
licence by default and LGPL-only to fcplay. You may place this tool to
src/utils-lgpl directory or so.

				Jaroslav

--

@ 2019-12-03 11:04         ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2019-12-03 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela; +Cc: ALSA development

On 03-12-19, 11:23, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> Dne 03. 12. 19 v 11:12 Vinod Koul napsal(a):

> > > I would probably add this to the tinycompress package, too. The mixed
> > > licence is not an issue, I think.
> >
> > That depends on who you talk to :-) Some folks seem to be averse to
> > anything *GPL*! so adding this to tinycompress can have issues for them.
>
> I mean that you can add a new tool to tinycompress with the LGPL-only
> licence. It depends on the packager/user if he/she accepts it. So, dual
> BSD/LGPL licence by default and LGPL-only to fcplay. You may place this tool
> to src/utils-lgpl directory or so.

Okay that sounds great to me. Let me try doing that instead!

Thanks

--

@ 2019-12-05  9:11           ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2019-12-05  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela; +Cc: ALSA development

On 03-12-19, 16:34, Vinod Koul wrote:
> On 03-12-19, 11:23, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
Hi Jaraslav,

> > I mean that you can add a new tool to tinycompress with the LGPL-only
> > licence. It depends on the packager/user if he/she accepts it. So, dual
> > BSD/LGPL licence by default and LGPL-only to fcplay. You may place this tool
> > to src/utils-lgpl directory or so.
>
> Okay that sounds great to me. Let me try doing that instead!

I have added this to tinycompress and made it enable only if people
configure with --enable-fcplay flag.

Thanks
--
~Vinod