On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 07:45:15PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote: > To me it seems like a really bad idea to add userspace API for this now, > when we don't actually have hardware which needs this. Introducing > userspace API for this now introduces a significant risk that we get the > API wrong, since we don't actuall have a use-case where we actually need > the suggested flexibility. And then if such a use-case does eventually > pop-up we might very well have gotten the userspace API for this wrong. > I'm not saying that we will never need such flexibility, but we do not > need it *now*, so as I said before lets cross that bridge when we reach it. I don't want to get stuck in a cycle of "why can't my system just do what this other system does", or worse end up with problems due to competing system requirements when patches go in on more flexible devices because I didn't notice that the device wasn't a good fit for this sort of thing but people have the expectation that the kernel will transparently handle things.