alsa-devel.alsa-project.org archive mirror
* Re: [REGRESSION] kbl-r5514-5663-max hdmi no longer working
       [not found] <CAJD_bPKQdtaExvVEKxhQ47G-ZXDA=k+gzhMJRHLBe=mysPnuKA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2023-03-13 17:32 ` Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis)
From: Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) @ 2023-03-13 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart
	Mark Brown, Alsa-devel, Takashi Iwai, Bard Liao

[adding a push of people and lists to the recipients that dealt with the
culprit; leaving the stable list in CC for now, even if this is a
mainline issue (apart from the backport of the culprit to 5.10.y Takashi
asked for a while ago)]

On 13.03.23 17:34, Jason Montleon wrote:
> It looks like HDMI audio stopped working in 5.17-rc1. I ran a bisect
> which points to 636110411ca726f19ef8e87b0be51bb9a4cdef06.

FWIW, that's "ASoC: Intel/SOF: use set_stream() instead of
set_tdm_slots() for HDAudio" from Pierre-Louis Bossart.

> I built
> 5.17.14 with it reverted and it restored HDMI output, but it doesn't
> revert cleanly from 5.18 onward.
>
>>From what I can tell it looks like -ENOTSUPP is returned from
> snd_soc_dai_set_stream for hdmi1 and hdmi2 now. I'm not sure if that's
> expected, but I made the following change and I have working HDMI
> audio now. https://gist.github.com/jmontleon/4780154c309f956d97ca9a304a00da3f

Thanks for the report and the patch. I CCed the relevant people for this.

[TLDR For the rest of the mail: : I'm adding this report to the list of
tracked Linux kernel regressions; the text you find below is based on a
few templates paragraphs you might have encountered already in similar
form. See link in footer if these mails annoy you.]

To be sure the issue doesn't fall through the cracks unnoticed, I'm
adding it to regzbot, the Linux kernel regression tracking bot:

#regzbot ^introduced 636110411ca726f19ef8e87b0be51bb9a4cdef06
#regzbot title alsa/asoc: kbl-r5514-5663-max hdmi stopped working
#regzbot ignore-activity

This isn't a regression? This issue or a fix for it are already
discussed somewhere else? It was fixed already? You want to clarify when
the regression started to happen? Or point out I got the title or
something else totally wrong? Then just reply and tell me -- ideally
while also telling regzbot about it, as explained by the page listed in
the footer of this mail.

Developers: When fixing the issue, remember to add 'Link:' tags pointing
to the report (the parent of this mail). See page linked in footer for
details.

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
That page also explains what to do if mails like this annoy you.

* Re: [REGRESSION] kbl-r5514-5663-max hdmi no longer working
@ 2023-03-23 12:39   ` Thorsten Leemhuis
From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2023-03-23 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart

On 13.03.23 18:32, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
> [adding a push of people and lists to the recipients that dealt with the
> culprit; leaving the stable list in CC for now, even if this is a
> mainline issue (apart from the backport of the culprit to 5.10.y Takashi
> asked for a while ago)]
>
> On 13.03.23 17:34, Jason Montleon wrote:
>> It looks like HDMI audio stopped working in 5.17-rc1. I ran a bisect
>> which points to 636110411ca726f19ef8e87b0be51bb9a4cdef06.
>
> FWIW, that's "ASoC: Intel/SOF: use set_stream() instead of
> set_tdm_slots() for HDAudio" from Pierre-Louis Bossart.

Pierre-Louis Bossart, did you find time to look into this?

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
If I did something stupid, please tell me, as explained on that page.

#regzbot poke