alsa-devel.alsa-project.org archive mirror
* Discover a microphone device, to later discover if it is receiving input
@ 2020-10-04 16:22 info
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: info @ 2020-10-04 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi all,

I am writing a program that aims to auto-discover the microphone device
that the user is speaking into. I started off by querying device hints
and collected all devices with the IO types of null, since I have not
found any devices with the type of Input. I am puzzled how it is
possible that there is no Input, where a microphone device should not be
able to emit sound. This is the list on my particular machine:

Name of device: sysdefault:CARD=SB
Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
Default Audio Device
I/O type of device: (null)

Name of device: front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
Front speakers
I/O type of device: (null)

Name of device: surround21:CARD=SB,DEV=0
Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
I/O type of device: Output

Name of device: surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
I/O type of device: Output

Name of device: surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
I/O type of device: Output

Name of device: surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
I/O type of device: Output

Name of device: sysdefault:CARD=SB
Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
I/O type of device: (null)

Name of device: front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
Front speakers
I/O type of device: (null)

Now, I am more puzzled, because none of them is a microphone device
explicitly. How can my program determine which of them is actually a
microphone?

Also, why are devices are duplicated in the output from
snd_device_name_hint()? The very first device is also repeated as the
2nd last one...

Regards,
Alex

* Dead link in wiki under Tutorials
@ 2020-10-04 21:17 ` info
From: info @ 2020-10-04 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

On the page
https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Tutorials_and_Presentations there are
dead links.

ALSA 0.9.0 HOWTO <http://www.suse.de/%7Emana/alsa090_howto.html> - Dr
Matthias Nagorni has writen a comprehensive tutorial for audio
application developers.
is dead. The article has been removed.

Howto use the ALSA API <http://equalarea.com/paul/alsa-audio.html> -
Paul Davis has also written a brief explanation.
is dead. His site has been removed from the hosting site.

ALSA Sequencer (draft)
<http://www.alsa-project.org/%7Efrank/alsa-sequencer/> - Frank van de
Pol's draft on programming the alsa sequencer.
is dead, 404 error.

Kernel OSS-Emulation
<http://www.alsa-project.org/%7Eiwai/OSS-Emulation.html> - Takashi Iwai
has written some notes on how ALSA handles OSS applications.
is dead, 404 error.

It is worth trying to restore them because there are very few resources
on ALSA programming.

Regards
Alex

* Re: Discover a microphone device, to later discover if it is receiving input
@ 2020-10-09 12:39 ` info
From: info @ 2020-10-09 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Can maintainers of this list please give a straight answer: is asking
questions and leaving comments here a waste of time?

@ 2020-10-09 14:07   ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2020-10-09 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info, alsa-devel

Dne 09. 10. 20 v 14:39 info napsal(a):
> Can maintainers of this list please give a straight answer: is asking
> questions and leaving comments here a waste of time?

Unfortunately, the hint list does not give information about the connected
mixer outputs or inputs. It's just a list of available PCM devices in the system.

If the I/O type is (null) it means that both directions may be available.

We have better device enumeration in UCM (Use Case Manager) by the use, but
the configurations are not available for all hardware yet.

BTW: Your e-mail header (From:) and signature does not seem trustly.

						Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@perex.cz>

* Re: Discover a microphone device, to later discover if it is receiving input
@ 2020-10-09 15:35 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2020-10-09 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Sun, 04 Oct 2020 18:22:43 +0200,
info wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I am writing a program that aims to auto-discover the microphone
> device that the user is speaking into. I started off by querying
> device hints and collected all devices with the IO types of null,
> since I have not found any devices with the type of Input. I am
> puzzled how it is possible that there is no Input, where a microphone
> device should not be able to emit sound. This is the list on my
> particular machine:
>
> Name of device: sysdefault:CARD=SB
> Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
> Default Audio Device
> I/O type of device: (null)
>
> Name of device: front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
> Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
> Front speakers
> I/O type of device: (null)
>
> Name of device: surround21:CARD=SB,DEV=0
> Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
> 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
> I/O type of device: Output
>
> Name of device: surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
> Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
> 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> I/O type of device: Output
>
> Name of device: surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
> Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
> 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> I/O type of device: Output
>
> Name of device: surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
> Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
> 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
> I/O type of device: Output
>
> Name of device: sysdefault:CARD=SB
> Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
> Default Audio Device
> I/O type of device: (null)
>
> Name of device: front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
> Description of device: HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
> Front speakers
> I/O type of device: (null)
>
> Now, I am more puzzled, because none of them is a microphone device
> explicitly. How can my program determine which of them is actually a
> microphone?
>
> Also, why are devices are duplicated in the output from
> snd_device_name_hint()? The very first device is also repeated as the
> 2nd last one...

Apart from the lack of the Input direction (maybe a bug in the hint
code), the fundamental problem is that the driver cannot tell always
the device type at all for each PCM stream.  It's simply because a
stream may give you any input type depending on the mixer route; it's
the case of HD-audio.  So, the same PCM device may be a mic, or a
headset mic, or a line-in, or whatever.

Sometimes there are dedicated PCM devices for certain inputs, but most
of the PCM streams are generic purpose.

Takashi

* Re: Discover a microphone device, to later discover if it is receiving input
@ 2020-10-09 16:11   ` info
From: info @ 2020-10-09 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: alsa-devel

When Audacity uses ALSA, it somehow knows that something is a front mic.
In the total absence of documentation that I noted in my other email,
how can I replicate this behaviour?
I do not insist on using hints. They were just mentioned somewhere on
the Net. I am agreeable to use any methods in ALSA API to discover the
mic, but w/o documentation, I have no way of knowing what it is, short
of reverse engineering your library. Is this the way you envisioned
adoption of ALSA: everyone is supposed to reverse-engineer?

Regards
Alex

On 2020-10-09 11:35 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Apart from the lack of the Input direction (maybe a bug in the hint
> code), the fundamental problem is that the driver cannot tell always
> the device type at all for each PCM stream.  It's simply because a
> stream may give you any input type depending on the mixer route; it's
> the case of HD-audio.  So, the same PCM device may be a mic, or a
> headset mic, or a line-in, or whatever.
>
> Sometimes there are dedicated PCM devices for certain inputs, but most
> of the PCM streams are generic purpose.
>

> Takashi

* Re: Dead link in wiki under Tutorials
@ 2020-10-16 17:33   ` info
From: info @ 2020-10-16 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

There seems to be zero interest in restoring the tutorials, even though
only 1 tutorial link works.
I totally get it that it may be hard for you to reach out to the authors
of external material on dead web sites. But you should have not so much
difficulty restoring those 404 pages that link back to your own wiki.
Could you?

Thanks
Alex