alsa-devel.alsa-project.org archive mirror
From: Jaroslav Kysela <perex@perex.cz>
To: Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org>, alsa-devel@alsa-project.org
Cc: pkg-alsa-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org
Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] ABI breakage in alsa-lib 1.2
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 09:47:12 +0100	[thread overview]

Dne 10. 01. 20 v 23:58 Jordi Mallach napsal(a):
> [Please Cc me on replies, I'm not currently subscribed to alsa-devel]
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm one of the ALSA Debian maintainers, and some weeks ago I looked
> into updating our ALSA packages to 1.2.1.
>
> I quickly noticed there's been some fundamental change to libasound2,
> one that appears to break ABI and should have warranted an soname bump
> at least.
>
> With the split of the snd_tplg API to the new libatopology2, libasound2
> has been left missing that part of the API that was part of the
> asound.h header, etc. This could have been a somewhat lesser issue if
> libasound2 linked to libatopology, but unfortunately this goes in the
> other direction, so the ABI and API breakage is not avoided.
>
> I cannot update alsa-lib in this state. I could hack around and patch
> it to reinstate the missing api in libasound, but this sounds like pain
> and suffering for everyone involved. How should we move forward with
> this?
>
> I am sorry I only come up with this 2 months after the release when I
> had identified the problem many weeks ago, I've been extremely busy.

It's not a problem at all. Those API/ABI is used only in the alsatplg utility
from the alsa-utils package which has the specific usage - compilation the
topology files from the configuration file to the binary form for the driver.
This tool is used only by the developers. I believe that you have zero users
for this. No other applications are expected to be touched. I would not do
this split, if it affects something serious.

					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@perex.cz>