alsa-devel.alsa-project.org archive mirror
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart <pierre-louis.bossart@linux.intel.com>
To: Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org>, alsa-devel@alsa-project.org
Cc: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>,
	Liam Girdwood <liam.r.girdwood@linux.intel.com>,
	Curtis Malainey <cujomalainey@google.com>
Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 14:16:21 -0500	[thread overview]

On 10/9/19 1:13 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As in previous years we're going to have an audio miniconference so we can
> get together and talk through issues, especially design decisions, face to
> face.  This year's event will be held on October 31st in Lyon, France,
> the day after ELC-E.  This will be held at the Lyon Convention Center (the
> ELC-E venue) and will be free of charge to attend, generously
> sponsored by Intel.
>
> Thus far for the agenda we have:
>
>   - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
>   - DSP framework integration (Liam?)
>   - Soundwire status (Pierre?)

I am unfortunately not going to make it this year due to conflicts.

I will repost the 50-odd SoundWire patches we have when Vinod is back at
his desk. For now we have most of the issues ironed out, with all known
race conditions sorted out and with audio streaming to/from SoundWire
links on CometLake, IceLake and TigerLake, with 4 different codecs from
Realtek supported. We are trying to clean-up the last suspend/resume
issues in collaboration with Realtek.

The latest code is here if anyone is interested:

https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/tree/integration/soundwire-latest

The only big topic is the multi-cpu support. We will need to support
playback synchronized on multiple amplifiers/speakers, and our plan was
to create a dailink that connect 2 CPU dais (possibly dealing with
different links) to 2 codec DAIs.

The other interesting topic is the likely mix of SoundWire, I2S and yes
HDaudio links for some platforms. This will make the autodetection a bit
complex, not to mention all the possible topology variants. Ideally we
should limit this complexity by exposing different cards for the
different links with Ranjani's work on MFD.

We are also planning to try and use the Up Extreme board which exposes 2
SoundWire links on the 40-pin connector, this will make it simpler for
developers to get access to an open SoundWire-enabled platform and
extend the pool of codecs supported, as we did with Minnow and Up boards.

-Pierre