Alsa-Devel Archive on lore.kernel.org
* [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-09 18:13 Mark Brown
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mark Brown @ 2019-10-09 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, Curtis Malainey, Pierre-Louis Bossart

Hi,

As in previous years we're going to have an audio miniconference so we can
get together and talk through issues, especially design decisions, face to
face.  This year's event will be held on October 31st in Lyon, France,
the day after ELC-E.  This will be held at the Lyon Convention Center (the
ELC-E venue) and will be free of charge to attend, generously
sponsored by Intel.

Thus far for the agenda we have:

 - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
 - DSP framework integration (Liam?)
 - Soundwire status (Pierre?)
 - Componentisation status/plans (Me)

As with previous years let's pull together an agenda through a mailing
list discussion - if people could reply to this mail with any topics
they'd like to discuss we can take it from there.  Of course if we can
sort things out more quickly via the mailing list that's even better!

If you're planning to attend please fill out the form here:

    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd6FV-tWYZ1fHlCmyzQhG98OtYH9W9GX-1dQ88mnLxVRGyPww/viewform?usp=sf_link

This event will be covered by the same code of conduct as ELC-E.

Thanks again to Intel for supporting this event.

Thanks,
Mark

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-09 18:48 ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2019-10-09 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: Linux-ALSA, Takashi Iwai, S.j. Wang, Pierre-Louis Bossart,
	Liam Girdwood, Curtis Malainey, Guido Roncarolo

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:15 PM Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As in previous years we're going to have an audio miniconference so we can
> get together and talk through issues, especially design decisions, face to
> face.  This year's event will be held on October 31st in Lyon, France,
> the day after ELC-E.  This will be held at the Lyon Convention Center (the
> ELC-E venue) and will be free of charge to attend, generously
> sponsored by Intel.
>
> Thus far for the agenda we have:
>
>  - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
>  - DSP framework integration (Liam?)
>  - Soundwire status (Pierre?)
>  - Componentisation status/plans (Me)

Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking care of this.

My topics:

- SOF driver: ACPI / DT unification
- SOF driver: Handling built-in driver use case

@ 2019-10-09 19:16 ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2019-10-09 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, alsa-devel; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, Curtis Malainey

On 10/9/19 1:13 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As in previous years we're going to have an audio miniconference so we can
> get together and talk through issues, especially design decisions, face to
> face.  This year's event will be held on October 31st in Lyon, France,
> the day after ELC-E.  This will be held at the Lyon Convention Center (the
> ELC-E venue) and will be free of charge to attend, generously
> sponsored by Intel.
>
> Thus far for the agenda we have:
>
>   - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
>   - DSP framework integration (Liam?)
>   - Soundwire status (Pierre?)

I am unfortunately not going to make it this year due to conflicts.

I will repost the 50-odd SoundWire patches we have when Vinod is back at
his desk. For now we have most of the issues ironed out, with all known
race conditions sorted out and with audio streaming to/from SoundWire
links on CometLake, IceLake and TigerLake, with 4 different codecs from
Realtek supported. We are trying to clean-up the last suspend/resume
issues in collaboration with Realtek.

The latest code is here if anyone is interested:

https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/tree/integration/soundwire-latest

The only big topic is the multi-cpu support. We will need to support
playback synchronized on multiple amplifiers/speakers, and our plan was
to create a dailink that connect 2 CPU dais (possibly dealing with
different links) to 2 codec DAIs.

The other interesting topic is the likely mix of SoundWire, I2S and yes
HDaudio links for some platforms. This will make the autodetection a bit
complex, not to mention all the possible topology variants. Ideally we
should limit this complexity by exposing different cards for the
different links with Ranjani's work on MFD.

We are also planning to try and use the Up Extreme board which exposes 2
SoundWire links on the 40-pin connector, this will make it simpler for
developers to get access to an open SoundWire-enabled platform and
extend the pool of codecs supported, as we did with Minnow and Up boards.

-Pierre

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-10 15:57   ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2019-10-10 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Baluta
  Cc: Linux-ALSA, Takashi Iwai, S.j. Wang, Pierre-Louis Bossart,

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 09:48:14PM +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:15 PM Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:

> My topics:

I'll add these to the agenda.

> - SOF driver: ACPI / DT unification

Are there concrete plans to discuss here or is this more of a
"what are we doing" kind of thing?  ACPI standardization has been
an issue :/

> - SOF driver: Handling built-in driver use case

What's the issue here?

@ 2019-10-10 16:43     ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2019-10-10 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, Daniel Baluta
  Cc: Linux-ALSA, Takashi Iwai, S.j. Wang, Liam Girdwood,

On 10/10/19 10:57 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 09:48:14PM +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:15 PM Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:
>
>> My topics:
>
> I'll add these to the agenda.
>
>> - SOF driver: ACPI / DT unification
>
> Are there concrete plans to discuss here or is this more of a
> "what are we doing" kind of thing?  ACPI standardization has been
> an issue :/

I took this agenda item as "how machine drivers are handled in SOF".

Currently the core creates a platform device which will result in a
machine driver being probe and the card created. This is mainly due to
the lack of 'machine device' in existing DSDT tables. DT has explicit
support for machine drivers, so we need to have a solution that caters
to both.

>> - SOF driver: Handling built-in driver use case
>
> What's the issue here?

The SOF driver (or any existing driver with closed-source firmware) will
not work when compiled as built-in due to the request_firmware()
dependency. This wasn't too much of an issue for Intel so far, but for
i.MX platforms it's quite common to have no modules.

Daniel, did I get things right?

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-10 19:43       ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2019-10-10 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart
  Cc: Linux-ALSA, Takashi Iwai, S.j. Wang, Liam Girdwood,
	Curtis Malainey, Mark Brown, Guido Roncarolo

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 10:21 PM Pierre-Louis Bossart
<pierre-louis.bossart@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 10/10/19 10:57 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 09:48:14PM +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> >> On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:15 PM Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> >> My topics:
> >
> > I'll add these to the agenda.
> >
> >> - SOF driver: ACPI / DT unification
> >
> > Are there concrete plans to discuss here or is this more of a
> > "what are we doing" kind of thing?  ACPI standardization has been
> > an issue :/
>
> I took this agenda item as "how machine drivers are handled in SOF".
>
> Currently the core creates a platform device which will result in a
> machine driver being probe and the card created. This is mainly due to
> the lack of 'machine device' in existing DSDT tables. DT has explicit
> support for machine drivers, so we need to have a solution that caters
> to both.
>

> >> - SOF driver: Handling built-in driver use case
> >
> > What's the issue here?
>
> The SOF driver (or any existing driver with closed-source firmware) will
> not work when compiled as built-in due to the request_firmware()
> dependency. This wasn't too much of an issue for Intel so far, but for
> i.MX platforms it's quite common to have no modules.
>
> Daniel, did I get things right?

Yes, thanks for jumping in! This is exactly what I was thinking of.

Daniel.

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-14 19:47 ` Liam Girdwood
From: Liam Girdwood @ 2019-10-14 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, alsa-devel
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Curtis Malainey, Pierre-Louis Bossart

On Wed, 2019-10-09 at 19:13 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As in previous years we're going to have an audio miniconference so
> we can
> get together and talk through issues, especially design decisions,
> face to
> face.  This year's event will be held on October 31st in Lyon,
> France,
> the day after ELC-E.  This will be held at the Lyon Convention Center
> (the
> ELC-E venue) and will be free of charge to attend, generously
> sponsored by Intel.
>
> Thus far for the agenda we have:
>
>  - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
>  - DSP framework integration (Liam?)
>  - Soundwire status (Pierre?)
>  - Componentisation status/plans (Me)

Audio Virtualisation. (Me).

Liam

* Re: [alsa-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 2019 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2019-10-14 20:16   ` Curtis Malainey
From: Curtis Malainey @ 2019-10-14 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, ALSA development, Mark Brown, Pierre-Louis Bossart

Are we going to get a whatsApp chat going beforehand again like last year?

@ 2019-10-15 20:11   ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2019-10-15 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Curtis Malainey, alsa-devel, Pierre-Louis Bossart

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 08:47:07PM +0100, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-10-09 at 19:13 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > Thus far for the agenda we have:

> >  - Use case management enhancements (Curtis)
> >  - DSP framework integration (Liam?)
> >  - Soundwire status (Pierre?)
> >  - Componentisation status/plans (Me)

> Audio Virtualisation. (Me).