ath11k.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
From: wi nk <wink@technolu.st>
To: Kalle Valo <kvalo@codeaurora.org>
Cc: Thomas Krause <thomaskrause@posteo.de>, ath11k@lists.infradead.org
Subject: Re: ath11k: QCA6390 on Dell XPS 13 and kernel crashes
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 18:02:16 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 5:55 PM Kalle Valo <kvalo@codeaurora.org> wrote:

> Hi Wi and Thomas,
>
> I'll start a new thread about problems on XPS 13. The information is
> scattered to different threads and hard to find everything, it's much
> easier to have everything in one place. So let's continue the discussion
> about the kernel crashes on this thread.
>
> Here's what I have understood so far:
>
> * On Dell XPS 15 there are no issues with QCA6390 and it seems to work
>   with 32 MSI vectors.
>
> * On Dell XPS 13 there's a BIOS bug and kernel prints:
>
> [    0.050130] DMAR: [Firmware Bug]: Your BIOS is broken; DMAR reported at address 0!
>                BIOS vendor: Dell Inc.; Ver: 1.1.1; Product Version:
>
> * Because of this BIOS bug QCA6390 only gets one MSI vector on Dell XPS
>   13. We added a hack to ath11k make it work with only vector and after
>   that it's possible to boot the firmware, connect to the AP and use the
>   device for a while.
>
> * But the problem now is that the kernel is crashing almost immediately
>   and almost every time(?). And these crashes only happen on Dell XPS
>   13, all other systems (including Dell XPS 15) seem to work without
>   issues.
>
> Is my understanding correct? Did I miss anything?
>
> About the symptoms Wi reports:

> So up until this point, everything is working without issues.
> Everything seems to spiral out of control a couple of seconds later
> when my system attempts to actually bring up the adapter.  In most of
> the crash states I will see this:
>
> [   31.286725] wlp85s0: send auth to ec:08:6b:27:01:ea (try 1/3)
> [   31.390187] wlp85s0: send auth to ec:08:6b:27:01:ea (try 2/3)
> [   31.391928] wlp85s0: authenticated
> [   31.394196] wlp85s0: associate with ec:08:6b:27:01:ea (try 1/3)
> [   31.396513] wlp85s0: RX AssocResp from ec:08:6b:27:01:ea
> (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=6)
> [   31.407730] wlp85s0: associated
> [   31.434354] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlp85s0: link becomes ready
>
> And then either somewhere in that pile of messages, or a second or two
> after this my machine will start to stutter as I mentioned before, and
> then it either hangs, or I see this message (I'm truncating the
> timestamp):
>
> [   35.xxxx ] sched: RT throttling activated
>
> After that moment, the machine is unresponsive.  Sorry I can't seem to
> extract this data other than screenshots from my phone at the moment,
> you can see the dmesg output from 6 different hangs here:
>
> https://github.com/w1nk/ath11k-debug
>
> And Thomas Krause reports:

> I can confirm this behavior on my configuration. I managed to login
> once and select the Wifi and connect to it. It seemed curiously enough
> be stable long enough to enter the Wifi passphrase. After the
> connection was established, the system hang and on each attempt to
> reboot into the graphical system it would freeze at some point
> (sometimes even before showing the login screen).

> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

> [...]

Hi Kalle,

  Again, thanks much for your work.  I think you've summarized
everything up until this point.  On my XPS 13 9310 The behavior of the
RT throttling still exists for me occasionally on loading the
driver/associating with an AP.  The throttling consistently occurs
after a few sets of the MHI debug printing showing the EE entering an
invalid state ( AMSS -> INVALID_EE ).  I'm now building the latest tag
to see if there are any differences.

Thanks!