ath9k-devel.lists.ath9k.org archive mirror
* [ath9k-devel] Bringing up More Than Two Station Mode Virtual Interfaces
       [not found] <1477348015.232027.1478581348091.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-11-08  5:02 ` Jack Fallington
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jack Fallington @ 2016-11-08  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I've been having a problem using the ath9k_htc driver and was hoping someone here might have some advice.

I'm trying to connect (on a single channel) to a single AP multiple times simultaneously using one physical wireless adapter. I haven't been able to bring up more than two virtual interfaces so far.

Here's my setup.
Linux Distribution:??? Kali Linux 2016.2
Kernel Version:??? 4.6.0Wireless Adapter:??? TP-Link TL-WN722NAdapter Chipset:??? Atheros AR9271Driver: ath9k_htc
Firmware version: 1.4.0

Here's what I've tried:
Disable network-manager.????root at kali:~# /etc/init.d/network-manager stop
????[ ok ] Stopping network-manager (via systemctl): network-manager.service.
Disable hardware encryption, because I've read this adapter won't support virtual interfaces with hardware encryption enabled.
??? root at kali:~# echo "options ath9k_htc nohwcrypt=1" >/etc/modprobe.d/ath9k_htc.conf??? root at kali:~# modprobe ath9k_htc
??? root at kali:~# cat /sys/module/ath9k_htc/parameters/nohwcrypt
????1
Create three virtual interfaces with unique MAC addresses.??? root at kali:~# iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan1 type station
????root at kali:~# iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan2 type station
????root at kali:~# iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan3 type station
????root at kali:~# macchanger -r wlan1
????Current MAC:?? [redacted] (unknown)
????Permanent MAC: [redacted] (unknown)
????New MAC:?????? ea:4c:bc:e0:8b:36 (unknown)
????root at kali:~# macchanger -r wlan2
????Current MAC:?? [redacted] (unknown)
??? Permanent MAC: [redacted] (unknown)
????New MAC:?????? 52:3a:02:22:4d:4a (unknown)
????root at kali:~# macchanger -r wlan3
????Current MAC:?? [redacted] (unknown)
????Permanent MAC: [redacted] (unknown)
????New MAC:?????? da:05:ce:1e:d0:41 (unknown)
Attempt to bring the new virtual interfaces up.??? root at kali:~# ifconfig wlan1 up
????root at kali:~# ifconfig wlan2 up
????root at kali:~# ifconfig wlan3 up
????SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy
The third interface fails to come up.

On?this page, they say, "We have successfully tested more than 200 stations and up to 4 APs per radio/NIC using ath9k and our code trees." They don't mention ath9k_htc, but I was hoping it also would also allow more than two station mode virtual interfaces. Or perhaps it's a firmware or hardware limitation causing my problem.

Is there anything else I can try? If not, is there another chipset and driver combination that would allow me to use at least 20 simultaneous station interfaces?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [ath9k-devel] Bringing up More Than Two Station Mode Virtual Interfaces
@ 2016-11-08  5:25   ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2016-11-08  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 11/07/2016 09:02 PM, Jack Fallington wrote:
> I've been having a problem using the ath9k_htc driver and was hoping someone here might have some advice.
>
> I'm trying to connect (on a single channel) to a single AP multiple times simultaneously using one physical wireless adapter. I haven't been able to bring up more than two virtual interfaces so far.

> On this page <http://www.candelatech.com/vsta.php>, they say, "We have successfully tested more than 200 stations and up to 4 APs per radio/NIC using ath9k and our code trees." They don't mention ath9k_htc, but I was hoping it also would also allow more than two station mode virtual interfaces. Or perhaps it's a firmware or hardware limitation causing my problem.

We use AR9380 NICs, and similar pcie ath9k nics will probably support similarly large numbers of stations.

At best ath9k-htc would be limited, I do not know *how* limited it would be.

> Is there anything else I can try? If not, is there another chipset and driver combination that would allow me to use at least 20 simultaneous station interfaces?

Use normal ath9k pcie nics.

If this is non-commercial, then you can also use our CT ath10k firmware and driver for multi-station work.  It supports
64 vdevs on ath10k.  But, if it is a commercial project, then contact me offlist.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

* [ath9k-devel] Bringing up More Than Two Station Mode Virtual Interfaces
@ 2016-11-08  5:37   ` BrettWright at eaton.com
From: BrettWright at eaton.com @ 2016-11-08  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

It's a firmware limitation with the ar9271. You could modify the open source firmware to get more than 2 vif's, but as memory is constrained you would hit another brick wall pretty soon...

@ 2016-11-08 20:24   ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2016-11-08 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Am 08.11.2016 um 06:02 schrieb Jack Fallington:
> I've been having a problem using the ath9k_htc driver and was hoping
> someone here might have some advice.
>
> I'm trying to connect (on a single channel) to a single AP multiple
> times simultaneously using one physical wireless adapter. I haven't been
> able to bring up more than two virtual interfaces so far.
>
> Here's my setup.
>
> Linux Distribution:    Kali Linux 2016.2
> Kernel Version:    4.6.0
> Wireless Adapter:    TP-Link TL-WN722N
> Adapter Chipset:    Atheros AR9271
> Driver: ath9k_htc
> Firmware version: 1.4.0
>
> Here's what I've tried:
>
> Disable network-manager.
>     root at kali:~# /etc/init.d/network-manager stop
>     [ ok ] Stopping network-manager (via systemctl):
> network-manager.service.
>
> Disable hardware encryption, because I've read this adapter won't
> support virtual interfaces with hardware encryption enabled.
>     root at kali:~# echo "options ath9k_htc nohwcrypt=1"
>>/etc/modprobe.d/ath9k_htc.conf
>     root at kali:~# modprobe ath9k_htc
>     root at kali:~# cat /sys/module/ath9k_htc/parameters/nohwcrypt
>     1
>
> Create three virtual interfaces with unique MAC addresses.
>     root at kali:~# iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan1 type station
>     root at kali:~# iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan2 type station
>     root at kali:~# iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan3 type station
>     root at kali:~# macchanger -r wlan1
>     Current MAC:   [redacted] (unknown)
>     Permanent MAC: [redacted] (unknown)
>     New MAC:       ea:4c:bc:e0:8b:36 (unknown)
>     root at kali:~# macchanger -r wlan2
>     Current MAC:   [redacted] (unknown)
>     Permanent MAC: [redacted] (unknown)
>     New MAC:       52:3a:02:22:4d:4a (unknown)
>     root at kali:~# macchanger -r wlan3
>     Current MAC:   [redacted] (unknown)
>     Permanent MAC: [redacted] (unknown)
>     New MAC:       da:05:ce:1e:d0:41 (unknown)
>
> Attempt to bring the new virtual interfaces up.
>     root at kali:~# ifconfig wlan1 up
>     root at kali:~# ifconfig wlan2 up
>     root at kali:~# ifconfig wlan3 up
>     SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy
>
> The third interface fails to come up.
>
> On this page <http://www.candelatech.com/vsta.php>, they say, "We have
> successfully tested more than 200 stations and up to 4 APs per radio/NIC
> using ath9k and our code trees." They don't mention ath9k_htc, but I was
> hoping it also would also allow more than two station mode virtual
> interfaces. Or perhaps it's a firmware or hardware limitation causing my
> problem.

yes.

> Is there anything else I can try? If not, is there another chipset and
> driver combination that would allow me to use at least 20 simultaneous
> station interfaces?

try ath9k.

Oleksij

* [ath9k-devel] Bringing up More Than Two Station Mode Virtual Interfaces
@ 2016-11-10 16:11     ` Jack Fallington
From: Jack Fallington @ 2016-11-10 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Thanks for your replies, everyone. They've been very helpful.

I'm going to try an AR9380 NIC with the ath9k driver.

Candela Technologies Inc? http://www.candelatech.com