b43-dev.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* where to find b43 firmware?
@ 2020-12-05  6:31 Chris Murphy
From: Chris Murphy @ 2020-12-05  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

Hi,

When I boot kernel 5.10-rc6, I see this message:

[    9.850583] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware
and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please
carefully read all instructions on this website.

When I go to that URL, there's no download for firmware or any
reference how to find out where to download it from. It's a dead end.

This page includes:
You need to have firmware files (usually in /lib/firmware/) so
b43(legacy) can upload them to the card and run properly.

Sure, OK. But how do I do that? There isn't even a mention of
b43-fwcutter on this page.

Chris Murphy

* where to find b43 firmware?
@ 2020-12-05 17:56 ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2020-12-05 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

On 12/5/20 12:31 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I boot kernel 5.10-rc6, I see this message:
>
> [    9.850583] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to
> https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware
> and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please
> carefully read all instructions on this website.
>
> When I go to that URL, there's no download for firmware or any
> reference how to find out where to download it from. It's a dead end.
>
> This page includes:
> You need to have firmware files (usually in /lib/firmware/) so
> b43(legacy) can upload them to the card and run properly.
>
> Sure, OK. But how do I do that? There isn't even a mention of
> b43-fwcutter on this page.

The previous version of that web page, referenced on the 3rd line of the page
you noted, (http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.net/en/users/Drivers/b43/) has the
instructions for downloading that firmware on Fedora, openSUSE, and
Ubuntu/Debian distros. You do not say what distro you are running, but one of
those 4 should provide the rpm or deb file that you need.

We have always been hampered by Broadcom's refusal to redistribute that
firmware, thus it cannot be put into the linux-firmware repo at git.kernel.org.

If you are unable to get this firmware through that web page, write me privately.

Larry