On 5/24/20 5:39 PM, Shetu Ayalew wrote: > Hi, > > I'm trying to create backport based on the backport project. I followed the instructions here - https://backports.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Documentation/backports/hacking. > > I'm using the latest versions of linux-next tree and backports tree and I also installed the latest version of the coccinelle. I did checkout on both trees (of linux-next tree and backports) to many different tags (the last I tryed on was v5.3.6-1). Then I run: > ./gentree.py --clean --git-revision v5.3.6-1 /path/to/your/linux-next /path/to/your/newly/created/release > > But in all the cases there was always patches that created parsing error. For example on the last tag I got error in patch 0049-no-pfmemalloc/no-pfmemalloc.cocci with the following message: > init_defs_builtins: /usr/local/bin/../lib/coccinelle/standard.h > minus: parse error: >   File "/.autodirect/swgwork/shetu/upstream/backports/patches/0049-no-pfmemalloc/no-pfmemalloc.cocci", line 7, column 4, charpos = 90 >   around = 'page_is_pfmemalloc', >   whole content =  || page_is_pfmemalloc(page) > > which is not much informative, I'm not sure where is the problem.  I also checked this file on master branch and other branches > Is it possible you give me two tags (one for the linux-next tree and one for the backport) where the backport should work so I will be able to try it. > > Thanks, > Shetu Hi Shetu, Currently backports does not work with linux-next, we do not have the resources to maintain backports on linux-next any more, so we only target Linus RC releases, 5.7-rc3 is the latest one, so you should use that one instead of linux-next. I am using coccinelle 1.0.7 and for me it currently works, I also do not like the error messages. I had a look at the patch and you can probably remove it anyway, it is for kernel < 3.6 and this is not supported anyway. Hauke