Backports Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / Atom feed
* What distro can run recent backports?
@ 2018-07-16 17:49 Ben Greear
  2018-07-16 19:44 ` Johannes Berg
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Ben Greear @ 2018-07-16 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: backports

Hello,

I'm trying to make backports work with my 4.16-ct kernel.  I tried Fedora-27, but it has
some bug relate to spatch so it cannot run there.

And just now I tried Ubuntu 18.  On it, spatch version is too old, and when I try to
compile coccinelle from git, it fails with an error like this:

File "parsing_c/includes.ml", line 159, characters 9-22:
Error: Unbound module Parmap

So, what does it actually take to run backports successfully?  What distro do you
guys use?  Anything work out of the box?

Thanks,
Ben

-- 
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe backports" in

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: What distro can run recent backports?
  2018-07-16 17:49 What distro can run recent backports? Ben Greear
@ 2018-07-16 19:44 ` Johannes Berg
  2018-07-16 20:16   ` Ben Greear
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Johannes Berg @ 2018-07-16 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear, backports

On Mon, 2018-07-16 at 10:49 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I'm trying to make backports work with my 4.16-ct kernel.  I tried Fedora-27, but it has
> some bug relate to spatch so it cannot run there.

I think it's an upstream spatch bug. You could use an older version and
revert the recent genl_const patch.

I'm on F27 but haven't gotten it to work recently (and am out for the
next ~4 weeks)

johannes

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe backports" in

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: What distro can run recent backports?
  2018-07-16 19:44 ` Johannes Berg
@ 2018-07-16 20:16   ` Ben Greear
  2018-07-16 22:15     ` Ben Greear
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Ben Greear @ 2018-07-16 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg, backports

On 07/16/2018 12:44 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-07-16 at 10:49 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to make backports work with my 4.16-ct kernel.  I tried Fedora-27, but it has
>> some bug relate to spatch so it cannot run there.
>
> I think it's an upstream spatch bug. You could use an older version and
> revert the recent genl_const patch.
>
> I'm on F27 but haven't gotten it to work recently (and am out for the
> next ~4 weeks)
>
> johannes

Thanks, I did try reverting the patch, and that got me farther, and after
more hacking on some incompatible patches and some Kconfig issues,
I got it to start building, and then it blew up all over the place.

This patch is part of what I used, by the way:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/backports/msg04115.html

It seems like a fragile house of cards, and I think maybe I should just
go back to manually copying files around and then fixing the incompatibilities.

Thanks,
Ben

-- 
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe backports" in

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: What distro can run recent backports?
  2018-07-16 20:16   ` Ben Greear
@ 2018-07-16 22:15     ` Ben Greear
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Ben Greear @ 2018-07-16 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg, backports

On 07/16/2018 01:16 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 07/16/2018 12:44 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> On Mon, 2018-07-16 at 10:49 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to make backports work with my 4.16-ct kernel.  I tried Fedora-27, but it has
>>> some bug relate to spatch so it cannot run there.
>>
>> I think it's an upstream spatch bug. You could use an older version and
>> revert the recent genl_const patch.
>>
>> I'm on F27 but haven't gotten it to work recently (and am out for the
>> next ~4 weeks)
>>
>> johannes
>
> Thanks, I did try reverting the patch, and that got me farther, and after
> more hacking on some incompatible patches and some Kconfig issues,
> I got it to start building, and then it blew up all over the place.
>
> This patch is part of what I used, by the way:
>
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/backports/msg04115.html
>
> It seems like a fragile house of cards, and I think maybe I should just
> go back to manually copying files around and then fixing the incompatibilities.


It looks like much of my problem was that I tried the '--integrate' option.  It seems
mostly broken.  Maybe someone can update gentree to warn loudly if someone tries to
use that option?

Thanks,
Ben

-- 
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe backports" in

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2018-07-16 17:49 What distro can run recent backports? Ben Greear
2018-07-16 19:44 ` Johannes Berg
2018-07-16 20:16   ` Ben Greear
2018-07-16 22:15     ` Ben Greear

Backports Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/backports/0 backports/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 backports backports/ https://lore.kernel.org/backports \
		backports@vger.kernel.org backports@archiver.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index backports


Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.backports


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox