backports.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Hauke Mehrtens <hauke@hauke-m.de>
To: Shetu Ayalew <shetu@mellanox.com>, backports@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: generate backport error
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 16:46:45 +0200	[thread overview]

On 6/1/20 11:19 AM, Shetu Ayalew wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run the the gentree.py.
> I use coccinelle 1.0.7 and the following tree -
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/
>
> with few different tags the last one was v5.7-rc3-1 (for backports
> tree)  and v5.7-rc3 (for the Linux tree).
>
> and I get error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./gentree.py", line 1107, in <module>
>     ret = _main()
>   File "./gentree.py", line 724, in _main
>     logwrite=logwrite)
>   File "./gentree.py", line 914, in process
>     kver = gen_version.kernelversion(bpid.project_dir)
>   File "/.autodirect/swgwork/shetu/upstream/backports/lib/bpversion.py",
> line 40, in kernelversion
>     _check(process)
>   File "/.autodirect/swgwork/shetu/upstream/backports/lib/bpversion.py",
> line 11, in _check
>     raise ExecutionError(process.returncode)
> lib.bpversion.ExecutionError
>

> To my understanding the source of the above error is the fail of the run
> of the following command that the script executes:
>
> "make --no-print-directory -C  /swgwork/shetu/upstream/backport_vr
> kernelversion"
>
> The error I get is "you shouldn't run make in the backports tree, but
> only in the generated output ...".
>
> But the directory backport_vr is not under the backports tree. Moreover
> I tried running make kernelversion
>
> from backport_vr and I got the same error message. Do you familiar with
> this probelm, any idea how to solve it ?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Shetu.

Hi Shetu,

The script tries to get the kernel version of the kernel you want to
create a backports release for and this somehow fails.

Could you please run this manually like I did here:

$ make --no-print-directory -C ~/linux/linux-next kernelversion
5.7.0-rc3
$ echo $?
0

Please keep the mailing list in CC.