On Saturday, January 26, 2019 11:47:20 AM CET Sven Eckelmann wrote: > Aggregated OGM is currently defined as: > > > * according to batctl manpage: > > aggregation|ag [0|1] > If no parameter is given the current aggregation setting > is displayed. Otherwise the parameter is used to enable or > disable OGM packet aggregation. > > * according to sysfs ABI: > > What: /sys/class/net//mesh/aggregated_ogms > Date: May 2010 > Contact: Marek Lindner > Description: > Indicates whether the batman protocol messages of the > mesh shall be aggregated or not. > > So sysfs is only one possible backend for the batctl command. There is > currently nothing which I would assume to be aggregatable beside OGMs but > let us assume for now that there is now something and some way to > aggregate things beside OGMs in a save and backward compatible way. Let's > call this FOO - so we have BATADV_ATTR_AGGREGATION_OGM_ENABLED and > BATADV_ATTR_AGGREGATION_FOO_ENABLED. Or we have BATADV_ATTR_AGGREGATION as > an u32 and just use the second bit as marker for FOO (and of course the > first bit as marker for OGM). > > Would it now be more preferable to use BATADV_ATTR_AGGREGATION_OGM_ENABLED > as u8 (boolean) or to to switch to BATADV_ATTR_AGGREGATION (u32) & assign > single bits to packet types. I'd prefer BATADV_ATTR_AGGREGATION_OGM_ENABLED (as we have your patchset now). Although it may be technically possible to aggregate other things (e.g. broadcasts), I don't think this will be implemented anytime soon, if at all. And if we do, we can just make another BATADV_ATTR_AGGREGATION_FOO_ENABLED flag. Cheers, Simon