b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
From: Marek Lindner <lindner_marek@yahoo.de>
To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking
	<b.a.t.m.a.n@open-mesh.net>
Subject: Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Quagga zebra API client for BATMAN
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 16:14:21 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

> I've added support to send BATMAN routes to zebra daemon and redistribute
> them to other Quagga protocols. The interface is through zebra UNIX socket.
> A new option -q followed by the UNIX socket path is added (see batmand
> --help) to enable route export. I've also implemented a metric for BATMAN
> routes based on TTL value which is essential when using BATMAN as IGP to
> BGP Confederations.

thanks for submitting your work. I published it on our website so that others
can find it: https://www.open-mesh.net/batman/patches

By the way: Using the TTL as basis for a hop metric is ambiguous and may lead
to errors. By doing so you assume that every host uses the same start TTL and
every hop decreases it in the same way. The B.A.T.M.A.N. protocol does not
demand or enforce this behaviour.
On the other hand the hop count does not reflect the quality of a path. May be
it would be a better approach to calculate the link quality into the metric
so that hop based protocols can do a better decission.

Regards,
Marek