Hi Andrew, Ah, okay, that makes sense. I was wondering about how the compatibility version would have to bedone anyway in such a case :D. So it should probably also be a general thing to better not change the compat-version during one merge window, right? I'll try to make too patches now then, that's fine. Cheers, Linus On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:03:55AM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote: > On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 12:39:46AM +0100, Linus L??ssing wrote: > > Hi, > > > > Marek and I have been chatting a little about the buggy vis raw > > output yesterday. And there was either the option to sort the > > mixed list on the receiving vis server or on the sender already. > > For the second option there was also the idea of changing the vis > > packet format accordingly to also save some more overhead. > > A comment about the mainline development process. Changes which are > clearly bug fixes we should be able to get merged into the -rc kernels > at any time. Changes which look like development work have to wait > until the next merge window. > > This vis problem about it showing the wrong interface will be in > -rc1. It would be nice to get it fixed. We are more likely to get such > a fix accepted if it is small and looks like a bug fix. I expect it > will get rejected if it is big and looks like development work. > > So can we develop two fixes? Something small and simple for -rc1 and > an optimizing fix which will go into linux-next and then into mainline > during the next merge window? > > Andrew >