b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Manually Updating Translation table
@ 2017-08-16 13:57 Kartikeswar K
From: Kartikeswar K @ 2017-08-16 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Dear BATMAN Community members,

I am new to BATMAN Mesh network and looking forward for answer to my
query related to updating Local Translation Table in a BATMAN Node.

I would like to make a mesh network where I would like to update the
client entry in Local Translation manually. Is it possible to add the
entry manually in translation table?
If so, I would like to know how can I update this table in BATMAN from
user space?

Thanks in advance and would appreciate your responses.

Thanks & Regards,
Kartikeswar Koppula
kartikeswar@gmail.com

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Manually Updating Translation table
@ 2017-08-16 14:47 ` Linus Lüssing
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4.1502895970.6668.b.a.t.m.a.n@lists.open-mesh.org>
From: Linus Lüssing @ 2017-08-16 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi,

Currently, no there isn't. The only thing you could do to manually
add an entry from inside a node is by crafting a dummy packet with
the desired ethernet source address and transmit it on bat0. That
way batman-adv would add that MAC address. Deleting only happens
after a timeout though, no way to force it manually.

In case you are thinking about implementing such a feature:
The Linux bridge has a feature like that to update the FDB
(forwarding database, for unicast addresses) or MDB (multicast
database). It uses netlink for that and you can use
/usr/sbin/bridge to easily add and remove entries from userspace.
That'd probably be the approach to mimic in batman-adv for such a
feature.

Regards, Linus

PS: Out of curiousity, could you share what you'd need such a
feature for?

@ 2017-08-16 15:05   ` Kartikeswar Koppula
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4.1502895970.6668.b.a.t.m.a.n@lists.open-mesh.org>
From: Kartikeswar Koppula @ 2017-08-16 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

HI Linus,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will try to do what you have described.

I am trying to use BATMAN for mesh networking of mobile Networks,
where the Mobile Gateway would be the BATMAN Node and UE (Client) is
not a batman node.
So I want to add UE's entry in Mobile Gateway's local translation
table manually which will be broadcast-ed in OGM to other Mobile
Gateway BATMAN nodes thereby UE's (clients) connected to other
Gateway's will be able to reach UE's connected to first mobile
gateway.

Best Regards,
Kartik

@ 2017-08-16 15:41     ` Linus Lüssing
       [not found]       ` <CACXSwgp6X3NcAd7jv4K3rQBMmHwjwsYPZp5D88wOuBJ4yB=h9A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Linus Lüssing @ 2017-08-16 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kartikeswar Koppula via B.A.T.M.A.N

Hi Kartik,

Have you considered using a Linux bridge? That's usually the most
common and easiest approach to get external clients into a
batman-adv mesh network. batman-adv will learn MAC addresses
from passed through traffic automatically.

Regards, Linus

@ 2017-10-25 13:15         ` Linus Lüssing
From: Linus Lüssing @ 2017-10-25 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kartikeswar Koppula; +Cc: Kartikeswar Koppula via B.A.T.M.A.N

Hi Kartik,

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 02:46:32PM +0200, Kartikeswar Koppula wrote:
> I checked the routes manually and it looks okay.

Could you share those? Next to "ip route show" the following tables
would be interesting, too:

$ ip address show
$ brctl show
$ batctl tg