b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* Fwd: Possibility of dual-licensing to ease bringing into FreeBSD
       [not found] <CAN8-kNUktsXSTnG2jA51h3piRxf8-a-JJBGtPF8uJdEWXspm1w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2023-09-15 14:11 ` obiwac
From: obiwac @ 2023-09-15 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: obiwac <obiwac@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sept 2023 at 16:10
Subject: Possibility of dual-licensing to ease bringing into FreeBSD
To: mmokhi@FreeBSD.org <mmokhi@freebsd.org>, <imp@freebsd.org>,
<jhb@freebsd.org>

Hia,

I recently ported batman-adv to FreeBSD as my GSoC project:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2023Projects/CallingTheBatmanFreeNetworksOnFreeBSD

I'd like to bring this work into the FreeBSD source tree, but they are
reluctant to bring in any new GPL code. Would it be possible to
dual-license batman-adv to GPL/BSD, or would you rather not (in which
case I'll ask FreeBSD's core@ if an exception could be made for
batman-adv)?

Thanks!
Aymeric

* Re: Fwd: Possibility of dual-licensing to ease bringing into FreeBSD
@ 2023-09-15 15:31   ` Linus Lüssing
From: Linus Lüssing @ 2023-09-15 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: obiwac; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi Aymetric,

Nice work!

For my part, I'd be a bit reluctant. We've had requests for batman-adv from big
companies in the past for an extra license, which we turned down.
So there might unfortunately be vultures out there who'd like
to build on top of batman-adv without giving back. And I'd feel a
bit uncomfortable to have spent so much free time on this project
to just "donate" it to such big companies. Who'd enhance it and
use that superior, closed source version in products which are in direct
competition to wireles community networks like Freifunk.

If there were some ways that non-commercial wireless community
projects like Freifunk were benefitting from a dual license then I
might be up for it. But right now I don't see how they would?

Regards, Linus

@ 2023-09-15 20:13   ` Sven Eckelmann
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2023-09-15 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n; +Cc: obiwac