b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* Re: Setting up a network
       [not found] ` <YZWsIncflVzGz7YEypQoc3ZI_TgJAX1ImjtvQIYV9uQ5WV-hH7Wle-Ptv13MeMD17Oc4gl1d5DgVy7mPAD6Pihnqzpr0vvdSdQ6Io0UxsLU=@protonmail.com>
@ 2022-10-14  9:12   ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2022-10-14  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n, colinconnoly

Hi Colin,

> I saw your program(s) mentioned in an article regarding some of the
> technical responses to the blackout in Egypt. It seems really cool and I
> was trying to figure out where to start! I'm not super technically advanced
> but can pick up stuff relatively quickly. Where/what would you recommend I
> study to try and figure out how to set up a mesh network?

since you are at the very beginning, it might make sense to get your hands on
one of the popular mesh Linux distributions for routers, such as:

- Gluon: https://gluon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
- LibreMesh: https://libremesh.org/

When searching for compatible hardware, please refer to the distributions
websites. They typically maintain lists of supported hardware.

This saves you from having to deal with WiFi driver problems, firmware
compilation & mesh configuration and countless pitfalls.

Any question you may have about specifics of those distributions you better ask
in the respective forums / chat groups / mailing list.

Cheers,
Marek

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-10-14  9:12 UTC | newest]