bpf.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Martin Lau <kafai@fb.com>
To: Jakub Sitnicki <jakub@cloudflare.com>
Cc: "bpf@vger.kernel.org" <bpf@vger.kernel.org>,
	John Fastabend <john.fastabend@gmail.com>,
	"netdev@vger.kernel.org" <netdev@vger.kernel.org>,
	"kernel-team@cloudflare.com" <kernel-team@cloudflare.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC bpf-next 0/5] Extend SOCKMAP to store listening sockets
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 20:42:59 +0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 01:35:26PM +0100, Jakub Sitnicki wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 06:52 AM CET, Martin Lau wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 01:37:25PM +0200, Jakub Sitnicki wrote:
> >> This patch set is a follow up on a suggestion from LPC '19 discussions to
> >> make SOCKMAP (or a new map type derived from it) a generic type for storing
> >> established as well as listening sockets.
> >>
> >> We found ourselves in need of a map type that keeps references to listening
> >> sockets when working on making the socket lookup programmable, aka BPF
> >> inet_lookup [1].  Initially we repurposed REUSEPORT_SOCKARRAY but found it
> >> problematic to extend due to being tightly coupled with reuseport
> >> logic (see slides [2]).
> >> So we've turned our attention to SOCKMAP instead.
> >>
> >> As it turns out the changes needed to make SOCKMAP suitable for storing
> >> listening sockets are self-contained and have use outside of programming
> >> the socket lookup. Hence this patch set.
> >>
> >> With these patches SOCKMAP can be used in SK_REUSEPORT BPF programs as a
> >> drop-in replacement for REUSEPORT_SOCKARRAY for TCP. This can hopefully
> >> lead to code consolidation between the two map types in the future.
> > What is the plan for UDP support in sockmap?
>
> It's on our road-map because without SOCKMAP support for UDP we won't be
> able to move away from TPROXY [1] and custom SO_BINDTOPREFIX extension
> [2] for steering new UDP flows to receiving sockets. Also we would like
> to look into using SOCKMAP for connected UDP socket splicing in the
> future [3].
>
> I was planning to split work as follows:
>
> 1. SOCKMAP support for listening sockets (this series)
> 2. programmable socket lookup for TCP (cut-down version of [4])
> 3. SOCKMAP support for UDP (work not started)
hmm...It is hard to comment how the full UDP sockmap may
work out without a code attempt because I am not fluent in
sock_map ;)

From a quick look, it seems there are quite a few things to do.
For example, the TCP_SKB_CB(skb) usage and how that may look
like in UDP.  "struct udp_skb_cb" is 28 bytes while "struct napi_gro_cb"
seems to be 48 bytes already which may need a closer look.

> 4. programmable socket lookup for UDP (rest of [4])
>
> I'm open to suggestions on how to organize it.
>
> >> Having said that, the main intention here is to lay groundwork for using
> >> SOCKMAP in the next iteration of programmable socket lookup patches.
> > What may be the minimal to get only lookup work for UDP sockmap?
> > .close() and .unhash()?
>
> John would know better. I haven't tried doing it yet.
>
> From just reading the code - override the two proto ops you mentioned,
> close and unhash, and adapt the socket checks in SOCKMAP.
Do your use cases need bpf prog attached to sock_map?

If not, would it be cleaner to delicate another map_type
for lookup-only use case to have both TCP and UDP support.