bpf.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: Comments on new user events ABI
       [not found]   ` <1014535694.197402.1648570634323.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
@ 2022-03-29 16:25     ` Alexei Starovoitov
From: Alexei Starovoitov @ 2022-03-29 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers, Linus Torvalds, bpf, Network Development
  Cc: Beau Belgrave, Beau Belgrave, linux-arch, linux-kernel,
	linux-trace-devel, rostedt, Masami Hiramatsu, Alexei Starovoitov

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 9:17 AM Mathieu Desnoyers
<mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com> wrote:

> >> include/uapi/linux/user_events.h:
> >>
> >> struct user_bpf_iter {
> >>
> >>         /* Offset of the data within the first iovec */
> >>         __u32 iov_offset;
> >>
> >>         /* Number of iovec structures */
> >>         __u32 nr_segs;
> >>
> >>         /* Pointer to iovec structures */
> >>         const struct iovec *iov;
> >>
> >>                            ^ a pointer in a uapi header is usually a no-go. This should be a u64.
> >> };
> >>
> >> include/uapi/linux/user_events.h:
> >>
> >> struct user_bpf_context {
> >>
> >>         /* Data type being passed (see union below) */
> >>         __u32 data_type;
> >>
> >>         /* Length of the data */
> >>         __u32 data_len;
> >>
> >>         /* Pointer to data, varies by data type */
> >>         union {
> >>                 /* Kernel data (data_type == USER_BPF_DATA_KERNEL) */
> >>                 void *kdata;
> >>
> >>                 /* User data (data_type == USER_BPF_DATA_USER) */
> >>                 void *udata;
> >>
> >>                 /* Direct iovec (data_type == USER_BPF_DATA_ITER) */
> >>                 struct user_bpf_iter *iter;
> >>
> >>                                ^ likewise for the 3 pointers above. Should be u64 in uapi headers.
> >>         };
> >> };
> >>

> > The bpf structs are only used within a BPF program. At that point the pointer
> > sizes should all align, right?
>
> I must admit I do not know enough about the eBPF uapi practices to answer this.
> [CCing Alexei on this]

Mathieu,

Thanks for flagging.

Whoever added this user_bpf* stuff please remove it immediately.
It was never reviewed by bpf maintainers.

It's a hard Nack to add a bpf interface to user_events.

* Re: Comments on new user events ABI
@ 2022-03-29 16:57       ` Beau Belgrave
From: Beau Belgrave @ 2022-03-29 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexei Starovoitov
  Cc: Mathieu Desnoyers, Linus Torvalds, bpf, Network Development,
	Beau Belgrave, linux-arch, linux-kernel, linux-trace-devel,

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 09:25:52AM -0700, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:

> > > The bpf structs are only used within a BPF program. At that point the pointer
> > > sizes should all align, right?
> >
> > I must admit I do not know enough about the eBPF uapi practices to answer this.
> > [CCing Alexei on this]
>
> Mathieu,
>
> Thanks for flagging.
>
> Whoever added this user_bpf* stuff please remove it immediately.
> It was never reviewed by bpf maintainers.
>
> It's a hard Nack to add a bpf interface to user_events.

Sorry about that, I'm sending a patch to remove this.

I'll have another patch to add it back in out to bpf and trace-devel for
review.

Thanks,
-Beau

* Re: Comments on new user events ABI
@ 2022-03-29 19:45       ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2022-03-29 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexei Starovoitov
  Cc: Mathieu Desnoyers, Linus Torvalds, bpf, Network Development,
	Beau Belgrave, Beau Belgrave, linux-arch, linux-kernel,
	linux-trace-devel, Masami Hiramatsu, Alexei Starovoitov

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:25:52 -0700
Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for flagging.
>
> Whoever added this user_bpf* stuff please remove it immediately.
> It was never reviewed by bpf maintainers.

Heh, now you know how the x86 maintainers feel ;-)

> It's a hard Nack to add a bpf interface to user_events.

Agreed, I'm thinking of marking the entire thing as broken such that it can
be worked on a bit more without a total revert (but still remove the BPF
portion on your request).

Beau, I agree with Mathieu, I don't think it's a good idea to expose the
"ftrace/perf/etc" users. The only thing that the application needs is a bit
to say "call the write now". And let the work be done within the kernel.
I think a single bit may be better, that way you can have many more events
on a page, and since they do not get modified often, it will be in hot
cache and fast.

-- Steve