bpf.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Vamsi Kodavanty <vamsi@araalinetworks.com>
To: Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@gmail.com>
Cc: bpf <bpf@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [BPF CO-RE clarification] Use CO-RE on older kernel versions.
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 14:45:20 -0800	[thread overview]

Andrii,
    Thank you so much for the quick response. You were right. I was
trying to CO-RE the `tcpconnect.py` program. It had some `.rodata`
which I removed. Now the program goes much further. It now finishes
the relocations successfully. But, fails at the next step
`bpf_object__load_progs`.

===
libbpf: prog 'tcp_v6_connect_ret': relo #3: patched insn #50
(ALU/ALU64) imm 56 -> 56
libbpf: failed to open '/sys/bus/event_source/devices/kprobe/type': No
such file or directory
libbpf: failed to determine kprobe perf type: No such file or directory
libbpf: prog 'tcp_v4_connect': failed to create kprobe
'tcp_v4_connect' perf event: No such file or directory
libbpf: failed to auto-attach program 'tcp_v4_connect': -2
===

This host has a 4.14 kernel AmazonLinux2 and does not have the above
file. It instead has this

===
$ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/kprobe_events
p:kprobes/p_sys_execve_bcc_2566 sys_execve
===

I am guessing this is a backward compatibility issue?. I will try to
look at an earlier version of libbpf to see how this was handled.
Meanwhile, if you have further comments they are appreciated.

And again I can't thank you enough for how helpful you have been and
your time. Cheers!.