bpf.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@gmail.com>
To: Quentin Monnet <quentin@isovalent.com>
Cc: bpf <bpf@vger.kernel.org>, Networking <netdev@vger.kernel.org>,
	Jakub Kicinski <kuba@kernel.org>,
	Andrii Nakryiko <andrii@kernel.org>,
	Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Bpftool mirror now available
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 22:25:18 -0800	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 6:47 AM Quentin Monnet <quentin@isovalent.com> wrote:

> Hi, I have the pleasure to announce the availability of a mirror for
> bpftool on GitHub, at the following URL:
>
>     https://github.com/libbpf/bpftool

This is great! Thanks a lot for all the clean ups, fixes, and
improvements to make it possible to mirror bpftool to Github repo!

> This mirror is similar in spirit to the one for libbpf [0], and its
> creation was lead by the following motivations.
>
> 1. The first goal is to provide a simpler way to build bpftool. So far,
> building a binary would require downloading the entire kernel
> repository. By contrast, the code in the GitHub mirror is mostly
> self-sufficient (it still requires libelf and zlib, and uses libbpf from
> its mirror as a git submodule), and offers an easy way to just clone and
> compile the tool.

Yep, libbpf-bootstrap will benefit from this a lot. A bunch of people
already asked about multi-platform support there and the need to
precompile bpftool for each architecture was a big blocker. Now this
blocker is gone as we can just compile bpftool from sources easily.

Same story with libbpf-tools in BCC repo, btw.

> 2. Because it is easier to compile and ship, this mirror should
> hopefully simplify bpftool packaging for distributions.

Right, I hope disto packagers will be quick to adopt the new mirror
repo for packaging bpftool. Let's figure out bpftool versioning schema
as a next step. Given bpftool heavily relies on libbpf and isn't
really coupled to kernel versions, it makes sense for bpftool to
reflect libbpf version rather than kernel's. WDYT?