bpf.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Shared Umem between processes
@ 2020-03-11 15:58 Gaul, Maximilian
From: Gaul, Maximilian @ 2020-03-11 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bpf

Hello everyone,

I am not sure if this is the correct address for my question / problem but I was forwarded to this e-mail from the libbpf github-issue section, so this is my excuse.

Just a few information at the start of this e-mail: My program is largely based on: https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-tutorial/tree/master/advanced03-AF_XDP and I am using libbpf: https://github.com/libbpf/libbpf

I am currently trying to build an application that enables me to process multiple udp-multicast streams at once in parallel (each with up to several ten-thousands of packets per second).

My first solution was to steer each multicast-stream on a separate RX-Queue on my NIC via `ethtool -N <if> flow-type udp4 ...` and to spawn as much user-space processes (each with a separate AF-XDP socket connected to one of the RX-Queues) as there are streams to process.

But because this solution is limited to the amount of RX-Queues the NIC has and I wanted to build something hardware-independent, I looked around a bit and found a feature called `XDP_SHARED_UMEM`.

As far as I understand (please correct me if I am wrong), at the moment libbpf only supports shared umem between threads of a process but not between processes - right?

I ran unto the problem, that `struct xsk_umem` is hidden in `xsk.c`. This prevents me from copying the content from the original socket / umem into shared memory. I am not sure, what information the sub-process (the one which is using the umem from another process) needs so I figured the simplest solution would be to just copy the whole umem struct.

So I went with the "quick-fix" to just move the definition of `struct xsk_umem` into `xsk.h` and to copy the umem-information from the original process into a shared memory. This process then calls `fork()` thus spawning a sub-process. This sub-process then reads the previously written umem-information from shared memory and passes it into `xsk_configure_socket` (af_xdp_user.c) which then eventually calls `xsk_socket__create` in `xsk.c`. This function then checks for `umem->refcount` and sets the flags for shared umem accordingly.

After returning from `xsk_socket__create` (we are still in `xsk_configure_socket` in af_xdp_user.c), `bpf_get_link_xdp_id` is called (I don't know if that's necessary). But after that call I exit the function `xsk_socket__create` in the sub-process because I figured it is probably bad to configure the umem a second time by calling `xsk_ring_prod__reserve` after that:

static struct xsk_socket_info *xsk_configure_socket(struct config *cfg, struct xsk_umem_info *umem) {

struct xsk_socket_config xsk_cfg;
struct xsk_socket_info *xsk_info;
uint32_t idx;
uint32_t prog_id = 0;
int i;
int ret;

xsk_info = calloc(1, sizeof(*xsk_info));
if (!xsk_info)
return NULL;

xsk_info->umem = umem;
xsk_cfg.rx_size = XSK_RING_CONS__DEFAULT_NUM_DESCS;
xsk_cfg.tx_size = XSK_RING_PROD__DEFAULT_NUM_DESCS;
xsk_cfg.libbpf_flags = 0;
xsk_cfg.xdp_flags = cfg->xdp_flags;
xsk_cfg.bind_flags = cfg->xsk_bind_flags;
ret = xsk_socket__create(&xsk_info->xsk, cfg->ifname, cfg->xsk_if_queue, umem->umem, &xsk_info->rx, &xsk_info->tx, &xsk_cfg);

if (ret) {
fprintf(stderr, "FAIL 1\n");
goto error_exit;
}

ret = bpf_get_link_xdp_id(cfg->ifindex, &prog_id, cfg->xdp_flags);
if (ret) {
fprintf(stderr, "FAIL 2\n");
goto error_exit;
}

/* Initialize umem frame allocation */
for (i = 0; i < NUM_FRAMES; i++)
xsk_info->umem_frame_addr[i] = i * FRAME_SIZE;

xsk_info->umem_frame_free = NUM_FRAMES;

if(cfg->use_shrd_umem) {
return xsk_info;
}
}

Somehow what I am doing doesn't work because my sub-process dies in `xsk_configure_socket`. I am not able to debug it properly with GDB though. Another point I don't understand is the statement:

However, note that you need to supply the XSK_LIBBPF_FLAGS__INHIBIT_PROG_LOAD libbpf_flag with the xsk_socket__create calls and load your own XDP program as there is no built in one in libbpf that will route the traffic for you.

from https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/networking/af_xdp.html#xdp-shared-umem-bind-flag

I didn't know that libbpf loads a XDP-program? Why would it do that? I am using my own af-xdp program which filters for udp-packets. If I set `xsk_cfg.libbpf_flags = XSK_LIBBPF_FLAGS__INHIBIT_PROG_LOAD;` in `xsk_configure_socket`, the af-xdp-socket fd is not put into the kernel `xsks-map` which basically means that I don't receive any packets.

As you probably already noticed, I am overstrained with the concept of Shared Umem and I have to say, there is no documentation about it besides the two sentences in https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/networking/af_xdp.html#xdp-shared-umem-bind-flag and a mail in a linux mailbox from Nov. 2019 stating that this feature is now implemented.

Can you please help?

Best regards

Max